Now Watching 2019

Just came back from my second viewing of Once Upon A Time....In Hollywood.

Holy moly. *laughs*

It’s been years since I’ve loved a film this much.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts? NO SPOILERS.

I think Brad Pitt was born to play the role of Cliff Booth.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Holy moly. *laughs*

As much as I hate to admit it, because he's so pretty, Brad Pitt is a great actor. One of the best of his generation.

Holy moly. *laughs*

I loved it. Between this and Inglorious Basterds, I wish Brad Pitt was in EVERY Tarantino movie. I want him to do a special edition of Pulp Fiction where he CGIs Brad Pitt over John Travolta.

Also, isn't there a way to cover up spoilers on this board. I have another comment I want to share...

Saw "Once Upon A time in Hollywood" over the weekend and liked it quite a bit.  Not nearly as shockingly violent as every other Tarantino movie.  I also watched "Rolling Thunder Revue" and loved it.  Finally, I finished Season One of both "City on a Hill" (they killed my wife's cousin, dammit!!) and Killing Eve.

Saw "Once Upon A time in Hollywood" over the weekend and liked it quite a bit.  Not nearly as shockingly violent as every other Tarantino movie.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. My favorite Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. I couldn't believe how many times I laughed throughout the movie. I haven't seen many films this year, but it's by far my favorite so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Motherless Brooklyn and The Lighthouse during the past week. Enjoyed both though I'm still trying to figure out The Lighthouse. Willem Dafoe is amazing. 

A little late to the party - but we just watched both seasons of Fleabag.  I really loved it.  

Season 1 was good. Season 2 was genius - The Office Party episode particularly, and then the episode of the mom's funeral were both very excellent viewing. 

The Mandalorian is pretty sweet. A great western set in the Star Wars universe AND Werner Herzog among many others.

I'm enjoying it too. I love seeing visual storytelling with minimal dialogue. Besides Rogue One, this is the closest thing I've seen in the Star Wars broadcast universe that compares to the feeling of the original and Empire Strikes Back. 

Saw JoJo Rabbit and The Irishman last week and took my mom to see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood tonight.

Loved JoJo Rabbit, especially Roman Griffin Davis, who plays JoJo, and Thomasin McKenzie, who plays Elsa. Maybe it's because I had no expectations going in, but I was very impressed with this film. Even the details were appealing. 

The Irishman was a good gangster movie, but three and a half hours of almost anything is too much. I liked it, but I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood was good because of Tom Hanks. I wasn't crazy about the script and thought it was a little too cheesy at times. Hanks nailed the role of Fred Rogers. He is the modern version of Jimmy Stewart for sure. 

Netflix aired The Irishman Wednesday night and it was totally engrossing to me the whole time - 3.5 hours. In this day and age that is crazy-long but it deserved the treatment. It was really nice how it stuck to history most of the way. After reading Lawrence O'Donnell's EXCELLENT book on 1968 (Playing With Fire) and any number of JFK/RFK bios you get a real feel for the antipathy between the people involved. 

No spoilers, just make sure you see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "Ford v. Ferrari" and "Knives Out" last week. "Ford v. Ferrari" was fun. I wasn't familiar with the story. Christian Bale and Matt Damon were great. "Knives Out" was very enjoyable. The cast was outstanding. National treasure M. Emmet Walsh even had a one-minute part. 

Amazon Prime has some spectacular jazz docs for free right now:  

Rahsaan Roland Kirk:  The Case of the Three Sided Dream    https://vimeo.com/167097426

The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EheTr-wyLPg

They also have a Sun Ra doc that looks good.  I need to carve out a couple hours for that.

Switching genres, I also adored The End of the F***cking World on Netflix