Doesn't hurt to call and ask. I have seen some record stores confirm what they will (or at least, what they won't) have in advance. Other record stores, like the one I'm going to in Winnipeg, won't say. Before I moved here, in my last city, there was two small stores that would just special order what you requested (though, they wouldn't always receive it) which is apparently unheard of in bigger communities.  :worried  

Thx - I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I'll head up to check it out regardless. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am heading to my second RSD tomorrow. I got there about 45 minutes before the Bull Moose store in Brunswick, Maine opened last year, and was probably 20-25th in line. Got the Wilco Live at the Troubador lp last year, and hoping to get Warmer this year. If I do not get it, no biggie.

Trying the Bull Moose location in Lewiston, Maine this year. Next year, maybe it will be the Scarborough or South Portland locations. The crazy number of Bull Moose stores within 35 minutes of my house is reason #28 why living in southern Maine is hard to beat.

In my experience, RSD is a free-for-all for sure. Last year, one of the people I went with wanted the re-release of whatever early Pink Floyd record was on the docket. I grabbed the last one and handed it to him, much to the chagrin of two other attendees. Lo and behold, there's another early Pink Floyd re-release out there this year. Which middle-aged white guy with a paunch will get the last copy this year?

We lined up two hours early for a local record store that gets a lot of RSD stuff in. We were the 3rd/4th people in line but someone 5 people down knew exactly where it was and pushed his way in for the only copy, super frustrating. We checked all 4 other places, but none of them even got a copy. For a city of nearly 800K people, we got one copy.  :ohwell

Bummed to see all these strike outs. I scored at the second store I went to. 3.5 hours of work. I was hoping my wife would be able to pick up a copy for a VCer but the person in front of her took that store's last copy.

It's a great album on first listen. Hard not to hear it as a companion to Warm even if one tried. I've heard a bunch of these live solo and they are good. Hadn't heard Empty Head before just now and it is among the best of Warmer.

I picked up Stroke Manor by The Minus 5 at RSD today. Lyrics from the song Jeff Tweedy wrote for Scott McCaughey are printed on the back cover:

Oh once upon a time I met a good man

A fellow both fresh and young

I'd try to tell you but I still don't understand

How he knows every song ever sung

Let's go play, let's go play again

Let's go play, rock and roll again

Once I woke him up on a Tuesday

A Tuesday that we all know

We watched the news and we cried all day

And then we made rock and roll

He said, let's go play, let's go play again

Come let's play, rock and roll again

Oh, I should build us a wooden ark

Wouldn't you rather live on an ocean of guitars

Maybe you're not a believer

Some people say it's just noise

Maybe it's a fever that you haven't caught yet

"Cause you haven't met Scott McCaughey

Jeff Tweedy, Nov. 2017

I picked up Stroke Manor by The Minus 5 at RSD today. Lyrics from the song Jeff Tweedy wrote for Scott McCaughey are printed on the back cover:

Oh once upon a time I met a good man

A fellow both fresh and young

I'd try to tell you but I still don't understand

How he knows every song ever sung

Once I woke him up on a Tuesday

A Tuesday that we all know

We watched the news and we cried all day

And then we made rock and roll

He said, let's go play, let's go play again

Come let's play, rock and roll again

Oh, I should build us a wooden ark

Wouldn't you rather live on an ocean of guitars

Maybe you're not a believer

Some people say it's just noise

Maybe it's a fever that you haven't caught yet

"Cause you haven't met Scott McCaughey

Jeff Tweed, Nov. 2017

Is this to the tune of “Let’s go Rain”? Cos it sounds like it in my head. Also the bridge is the same.

It sucks reading about all of these lousy stories. I had an extremely pleasant experience except for waking up earlier than normal for me. In fact, I just woke up from a nap. I'm not a nap person, but I woke up at 5:50 to use the bathroom and I decided to suck it up and stay up. Watched both late night NHL playoff games on the DVR.

A sudden panic hit me as I pulled into Bull Moose Records in Salem, NH. The line wrapped through the parking lot where people were leaning on cars in the rain. The lines get worse each year. However, the staff at Bull Moose had a surprise plan that they implemented that worked like a charm to prevent any sort of malicious behavior: they brought us into the store around 7:55am and had us line up inside the store through the back. No one was left outside. This is where things really got cute & smart: people were let into the Record Store Day area 3 at a time, so I waited from 8 till 9am in line. I advised people around me to check the Bull Moose website for their selections, since their website is linked to their Inventory in real time. I just missed out on R.E.M.'s release at 8:50. I made it to the RSD section at 9 & went directly for Warmer. I somehow had the final copy in my hands.

Is this to the tune of “Let’s go Rain”? Cos it sounds like it in my head. Also the bridge is the same. ‍♀

Yes, lots of familiar references in these lyrics. Alas, the music/song itself isn't on the LP, just Jeff's lyrics on the back cover. Jeff is credited as a musician on the record, but the credits don't break out which song and on first listen I didn't pick up on any vocals/other parts that "had to be" Jeff. It's a solid Minus 5 album.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/29219026/jeff-tweedy-warmer-rsd-exclusive-2019-ltd-to-5000

RSD releases will be on sale online starting this Monday @ 7am. Right now Sanford, Maine is the only Bull Moose location that has Warmer. I've seen past RSD titles in their stores. The Bull Moose that I go to all the time still has one copy of Live At The Troubador.

I'd check the website on Monday to see if it shows up. It's possible that they put out so many and have maybe 1 left out back for a possible online sale. Good luck!

Got 1 this morning in Tower Records Dublin.

Guy working there said they had about 8 or 10 and nobody else in Ireland did. He also said there was some sort of mess up so no UK stores got it? Is that true? Either way he said we were lucky.

Had a good few listens today and love it.Family Ghost is obviously great. Its different to Warm I think. Definitely in a similar vein but a little more low key maybe. Evergreen, Sick Server are two great ones that jump out.

Also there are some very raw lyrics about his past and parents. In particular Orphan, seema to be about how Jeff is an orphan now his parents are both passed away. Sick Server also seems (to me)to be about touring/travelling and calling from the road to check in on someone you're worried about.

Overall it's great and just in case the limited release made it seem to anyone as left over tracks or outtakes from the Warm sessions, it definitely is not.

Only pity is I cant listen away from the record player but in some ways being forced to only listen to an album that way is cool.

Also credits have Jeff playing everything, Spencer played all drums.

Sounds like slide guitar or pedal steel on 'ten sentences' ? Probably slide - I don't think of Jeff as being big into that sound or playing it.

He talked a lot in some guitar nerd magazine I read about having enough time on his hands with his daily Loft work, and Wilco being on year-long sabbatical, that he figured out how to record electric guitar parts that sound like pedal steel. The truth is, even after the hours he spent doing that, it was probably way easier than learning pedal steel.

He talked a lot in some guitar nerd magazine I read about having enough time on his hands with his daily Loft work, and Wilco being on year-long sabbatical, that he figured out how to record electric guitar parts that sound like pedal steel. The truth is, even after the hours he spent doing that, it was probably way easier than learning pedal steel.

Ah, missed that. Thanks. Very interesting. Same sort of effect on ...and Then You Cut It in Half too on 4th listen.

Nice one. I'm up north and my local got none. The owner was under the impression no shop in Ireland or UK got any except Rough Trade but obviously he wasn't aware that Tower got some.

Edit - referring to DickDarlington's post above. Wasn't able to quote it for some reason...