They should package the two LPs together as "Open Kimono" and then throw in a 7" of live versions of "It Must Be Love" / "Plateau" from this past tour. Add expanded Saunders notes. Done. And purchased.

In addition to Solid Sound, Bbop reported the following from the Chattanooga show in his write up:

"he also took a moment to comment on how they had pressed 5,000 copies for Record Store Day because they thought it would be nice for people to actually go out to an independent record store and buy a record, but then "everybody complained (about not being able to get a copy)," Jeff said. "Oh, I'm so sorry we conservatively estimated how many people would buy our record. ... Didn't you hear that nobody buys records anymore?" Then he conceded what those who didn't manage to track down a copy this weekend surely were hoping to hear — that Warmer will be available more widely eventually, likely packaged with Warm. The exact quote from Jeff: "Warm and Warmer belong together, and they'll probably be out together at some point.""

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://soundblab.com/reviews/albums/21879-jeff-tweedy-warmer

Warmer was originally released as a vinyl only limited edition on Record Store Day this April.  It will be streaming live here from May 10 to May 12, and then widely released through the more standard channels on July 12.    

Anyone know if this is actually happening? Today is May 10, and I haven't seen this confirmed on Wilco's site or even mentioned anywhere but the link above.

Saw a facebook reply that there will be an additional vinyl release as well.  guessing that could be in the double LP variety.

I'm going to be really annoyed if it's a colour vinyl release. So annoyed. But then I will buy it. Because I'm a SUCKER. 

Finally hearing this. It seems closer to disc 2 of Sukierae to me in that it unhurriedly kind of drifts with a lot of dreamy tunes. Not as tight or breezy as Warm, but I think each one has its place.

All said, I love what he's done here with these 20+ songs, and at the same time I hope he uses the Wilco revitalization to do nothing like this. 

I haven't seen this debated elsewhere so if I missed something please excuse - is it possible the low-level attention to getting Warmer into the hands of fans is because there is a Wilco release coming at some point around Solid Sound or during the summer that needs obvious priority? Was great to hear Warmer on the stream, though. 

I haven't seen this debated elsewhere so if I missed something please excuse - is it possible the low-level attention to getting Warmer into the hands of fans is because there is a Wilco release coming at some point around Solid Sound or during the summer that needs obvious priority? Was great to hear Warmer on the stream, though. 

Who knows? But the fact there will be a proper release of Warmer in July would appear to suggest that any Wilco release would be some time after that. I would like them to record an album of new songs live, like Neil Young used to do with Time Fades Away (or mainly) Rust Never Sleeps.  Would also make it sound more like a Wilco album than the last two which are somewhat difficult to distinguish from Tweedy/Jeff Tweedy releases.

Now that is a great idea (that will likely never happen). I’m struggling to think of any artist that does that besides Uncle Neil.

REM's fantastic New Adventures in Hi-Fi was almost entirely recorded at soundchecks.

A new Wilco album recorded live is an interesting idea and Night One at Solid Sound would be the best time to do it. But, I think there was a lot of rumours of them recording in the fall/winter (the Blackhawks game photo comes to mind).

The rumours/speculation were for an autumn release but with the Euro tours and we're all pretty sure they're about to announce an extensive Canadian tour (right?!) I can't imagine they'll be doing the Schmilco sets again. A surprise summer release like Star Wars was would be fun! 

Now that is a great idea (that will likely never happen). I’m struggling to think of any artist that does that besides Uncle Neil.

When Songs: Ohia's Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma (You Appeared To Me As A Ghost) was released, it was mostly new songs (except 2 old songs appearing in drastically different versions) with all the new songs unique to just that release. 

When Songs: Ohia's Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma (You Appeared To Me As A Ghost) was released, it was mostly new songs (except 2 old songs appearing in drastically different versions) with all the new songs unique to just that release. 

That's a cool record, but it's more bootleg than regular release in a sense.

Maybe the best analogy for this idea would be Neil Young's Live Rust, if he never released Rust Never Sleeps. 

That's a cool record, but it's more bootleg than regular release in a sense.

Maybe the best analogy for this idea would be Neil Young's Live Rust, if he never released Rust Never Sleeps. 

No, as I wrote above, Rust Never Sleeps is actually a live album (apart from 2 tracks). The audience sounds were removed, but can still be heard in one ot two places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Never_Sleeps

My latest prediction is new album on Friday June 7. The 2 Knoxville shows will lead up to that. Entirely possible that they've had something in the can for a long time.

No, as I wrote above, Rust Never Sleeps is actually a live album (apart from 2 tracks). The audience sounds were removed, but can still be heard in one ot two places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Never_Sleeps

Oh weak, I didn't even read that, sorry.

Well, great minds think alike, except for me missing the original Rust was already live.

I'm probably putting too much reverence into the old idea of ``clear the decks, new product coming through,'' accompanied by much hoo-hah including teasers in Rolling Stone, NPR First Listen and other claptrap that is supposed to build interest in a new release and sell such things as CDs, vinyl and downloads and make people give them 0.0001 cent per stream. 

REM's fantastic New Adventures in Hi-Fi was almost entirely recorded at soundchecks.

That is a great album.  I believe Jackson Browne also did it on "Running on Empty."