Jeff Tweedy — 6 April 2019, Boston, MA (Berkee Performance Center)

Bombs Above
Some Birds
One Sunday Morning
Having Been Is No Way To Be
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
New Madrid
Normal American Kids (abandoned pretty early on)
Ruling Class
Summerteeth
Family Ghost
Ashes of American Flags
Guaranteed
Hummingbird
Jesus, etc.
Gun
Let’s Go Rain
I Know What It’s Like
Heavy Metal Drummer
California Stars
I’m the Man Who Loves You
—————
Don’t Forget
Misunderstood
Acuff-Rose

Jeff took the stage at about 8:30 and got off at about 10:10. 

Just a few noteworthy visits to banter corner: 

The show started with three or four consecutive songs before Mr. Tweedy addressed the audience, and two attendees in particular. A couple showed up before IATTBYH, and Jeff, as he's known to do, "shamed" them for being late. He then corrected himself, admitting that sometimes he gets angry tweets from the latecomers: "they'll tweet at me: 'I had to put my dog down this evening and all we wanted to do was to go out for a good time.'" The couple took it in jest and it proved to be a nice icebreaker.

Somewhere in the middle of IATTBYH an audience member wooed for some of Jeff's guitar work. After the song, he admitted that he interprets that sort of encouragement as condescending because "anyone could do it. I could teach all of you to play that before we leave here." He then mock played some of Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water.

During Rule Class Jeff kept itching his nose. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but after the song he admitted that a mustache hair was tickling the inside of his nose every time he whistled. I don't recall exactly what he said about this, but he joked about what a professional he was for persevering. 

Summerteeth was met with an unusual lack of audience participation. Very few "ooos" and "aaahs" despite a few playful head nods during the appropriate moments. After the song, Jeff (correctly) posited that the seats must be comfortable. Someone yelled something about how the venue is a dry venue too, which Jeff agreed is another contributing factor, along with what day of the week that it is. I think that it was at this moment that Jeff recounted an international festival some years ago that Wilco played. Wilco was set to play before a side project of some of the Slipknot members. Every evening Wilco was met by a totally uninterested audience. Jeff said that one night he finally got a woman in the front to crack a smile by saying something to the effect of: "Just because we don't look the part doesn't mean we aren't equally invested in doing the dark lord's work." This is surly a misquote, but it was a very funny moment.

I'll try to recount more as they come to me.... 

Jeff was in fine form tonight. Outstanding playing in an acoustically perfect venue, and lots of loose and hysterical banter. Really funny when after he just finished One SUnday Morning a group of 3 or 4 folks first came in to their seats in like the second row to his right. “Oh great, now I’m going to have to start all over. I just did a song with 12 verses, I can’t do that again.” And “if you plan to leave early you get there on time.” My life motto exactly.

Jeff was on the crowd for being too laid back. “Are the seats really comfortable?” I think he said that a couple of times. Later he gave us one of the “I don’t like audiences, but this is a top 5 audience” lines.

I got my Summer teeth

Such a great night. Surprised my son with a ticket last night on his tenth birthday, which had him grinning from ear to ear immediately. In all our years of show going as a family, somehow he and I had never been to a show with just the two of us, so this one was gonna feel special no matter what. Jeff did not disappoint...

So many highlights:

-First time seeing One Sunday Morning in a solo rendition- it’s always beautiful but extra powerful and moving this way.

-Both Ruling class and Hummingbird for Adam, who loves to whistle.

-New favorites- Family Ghost and Guaranteed.

-WE GOT OUR GUN!!!

Jeff seemed to be in good spirits, and the crowd was respectful and attentive, if a bit subdued. One other favorite piece of banter- there was an over enthusiastic yelp following one of Jeff’s guitar bends in IATTBYH, which drew a smirking glance and a bit of a head shake. After he finished, Jeff pointed out that it might have been a little much- “that’s literally one of the first things you do when you pick up a guitar.” He then followed with the opening chords of Smoke on the Water, which drew nice applause and a little bow.

Such a great show. I got my request, One Sunday Morning, and finally got to hear Gun live. Jeff was in a great mood.

The only downside was the incredibly loud and obnoxious woman seated directly behind us. I had to ask her to keep it down. Just an awful person.