Music venue recommendations in London?

My oldest son is going to be spending 10 days in London in June.  He's a huge music fan and asked me if I had any recommendations for "can't miss" music venues in London.  Anyone have a nomination or two that I can pass along to him?  Thanks.  

My oldest son is going to be spending 10 days in London in June. He's a huge music fan and asked me if I had any recommendations for "can't miss" music venues in London. Anyone have a nomination or two that I can pass along to him? Thanks.

It sort of depends on who’s playing and what kind of music he’s into, but as far as interesting smaller venues, maybe check out the Borderline (which might be more of a singer-songwriter kind of place). Also the Lexington, which is a newer venue on the second floor of a pub near the Angel Tube stop often has good up-and-coming indie bands. And the Electric Ballroom in Camden is kind of a dump but also pretty good for indie-type acts. And the Jazz Cafe in Camden for neo-soul and jazz-type stuff; D’Angelo cut a live record there.

In terms of slightly bigger places, Shepherd’s Bush Empire and the Roundhouse are also pretty iconic venues there. Also check out what’s playing at the Barbican Centre. Hope that helps.

It sort of depends on who’s playing and what kind of music he’s into, but as far as interesting smaller venues, maybe check out the Borderline (which might be more of a singer-songwriter kind of place). Also the Lexington, which is a newer venue on the second floor of a pub near the Angel Tube stop often has good up-and-coming indie bands. And the Electric Ballroom in Camden is kind of a dump but also pretty good for indie-type acts. And the Jazz Cafe in Camden for neo-soul and jazz-type stuff; D’Angelo cut a live record there.

In terms of slightly bigger places, Shepherd’s Bush Empire and the Roundhouse are also pretty iconic venues there. Also check out what’s playing at the Barbican Centre. Hope that helps.

Excellent!  Thanks for your recommendations.

when i was in Galway a few days ago, i struck up a conversation with the guy at the bar next to me. Turns out he was an American/English semi-expat who stage manages The Underworld, which sounded like a cool venue.

Not to hijack the threat but I’ll be in Galway Saturday can’t wait!! Any recommendations there?

Not to hijack the threat but I’ll be in Galway Saturday can’t wait!! Any recommendations there?

well i actually didn't spend too much time there... drove out sat from dublin and got into town around 1:30... checked in to my hotel and grabbed a falafel from a street vendor for lunch and then drove down to Aillwee Cave and then Cliffs of Moher. i didn't get back into Galway until nearly 9:30 and then had dinner at a really good place called Dela. had a beer at Salt House which was cool. there was a tapas place called Cava Bodega which looked great but was booked solid. a dubliner recommended Tartare or Anier but Tartare was fancier than i was looking for and Anier closed at 10. 

i left Galway in the morning to head out to Connemara, so i really didn't spend much time in the city. tons of people out and about, though. 

well i actually didn't spend too much time there... drove out sat from dublin and got into town around 1:30... checked in to my hotel and grabbed a falafel from a street vendor for lunch and then drove down to Aillwee Cave and then Cliffs of Moher. i didn't get back into Galway until nearly 9:30 and then had dinner at a really good place called Dela. had a beer at Salt House which was cool. there was a tapas place called Cava Bodega which looked great but was booked solid. a dubliner recommended Tartare or Anier but Tartare was fancier than i was looking for and Anier closed at 10.

i left Galway in the morning to head out to Connemara, so i really didn't spend much time in the city. tons of people out and about, though.

Ahh ok I’m heading also to Killarney, Kilkenny and Sligo too can’t wait. I always enjoyed the European dining and drinking culture!

Favourite is Union Chapel (but the pews are tough on the buttocks).

JT has played there solo. Saw Mavis there once too (not the time she recorded her live album there - seem to remember she said it's her favourite place to sing ??), and Jonathan Richman and Aimee Mann amongst others.

Great sound and smallish.

As for the larger venues, in addition to those mentioned I would add the Brixton Academy (or whatever branded name it has these days) - purely because it has a sloping GA floor that helps give the majority good sight lines. Wilco played there last time they were in the UK if you remember that footage they released of the 'Brazilian chant' from Spiders - looked like they were facing a football terrace in full voice.

Also he should check out the website of Rough Trade Records East (they have a couple of stores in London) .

They have lots of in store performances. They all used to be free and great (best for me was Shearwater / Richmond Fontaine / Patty Griffin with a guest spot from Robert Plant). Nowadays you usually have to buy something or they sell tickets as mini shows.

JT/Wilco should go there next time in the UK.

Plus it's near Brick Lane if he like a good curry.

Oh, how could I forget my second favourite - Bush Hall. A bit further on round the corner from Shepherds Bush Empire. Small room that used to be a ballroom in a private house and the rehearsal space of the Who at one time. Type of people seen there - Maria McKee, Neko Case, Alejandro Escovedo, Shearwater.