Jan18-22, 2020 Wilco's Sky Blue Sky

I expect this to be a Wilco crowd. I wouldn't expect there's much to gather about the vibe from the Dead and Co. or Phish or MMJ Mexican festivals. I've never wanted to go to Mexico at the risk of getting sick from the water, but I'm going to drop my objection for SBS. Being in the sun on the beach during the day and having WIlco and other favorite bands right there at night sounds too good to pass up. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the price point limits it to a certain demographic, which I wouldn't imagine includes a bunch of spring breaker 20-somethings.  

As you guys know, I am the official Youngest Wilco Fan© and even I am 32 in a few weeks, so I don't think you'll need to worry about Spring Breaker Wilco fans! At least from the first gen Wilco fans. Of course, some of you baby boomers and gen Xers probably don't get out too much, so it could still be a pretty hard partying event.

Of course, some of you baby boomers ... probably don't get out too much, so it could still be a pretty hard partying event.

As I say to my kids (who happen to all be within a decade of you btw).... “do try and keep up, ok?”

As I say to my kids (who happen to all be within a decade of you btw).... “do try and keep up, ok?”

Millennials don't have the disposable incomes to drink!!

True, this won't attract spring breaker 20 somethings.  It will attract former spring breaker now 40 somethings who decide to reunite with their large network of high school and college friends they never see anymore  down in Mexico where they will spend the whole concert "catching up" making it impossible for people to hear the music.

Sort of like every Wilco show I've been to*, but way worse.

*Except for the show I saw in Knoxville.  That was a good audience.

True, this won't attract spring breaker 20 somethings.  It will attract former spring breaker now 40 somethings who decide to reunite with their large network of high school and college friends they never see anymore  down in Mexico where they will spend the whole concert "catching up" making it impossible for people to hear the music.

Sort of like every Wilco show I've been to*, but way worse.

*Except for the show I saw in Knoxville.  That was a good audience.

Fair point.  But since it's all inclusive, you could pour drinks on the offenders' heads and then reload.

Fair point.  But since it's all inclusive, you could pour drinks on the offenders' heads and then reload.

I hadn't considered it from that angle, but that is a good point and a worthwhile use of the all you can drink policy.  

Wilco haven't been to San Diego in over 7 years but go to goddamn mexico what the h?

You live in San Diego?!!  You're disqualified from complaining.  About anything!   :D

I hadn't considered it from that angle, but that is a good point and a worthwhile use of the all you can drink policy.  

I can assure you from my own experience some assholes won't need a free drink venue. During the first night of the last Beacon run my wife and I had good seats on the floor except for the 3 NY bros relentlessly talking behind us. I finally turned and (politely I thought) just asked them to turn down the volume. Nothing aggressive or rude. Within a few minutes one of those jerks poured an entire beer on my jacket as he was heading to the aisle to go buy more. Those Beacon beers are not cheap. So I'm not buying any view that holds that SBS will attract assholes any more than is possible at any other show. 

The assholes will come with the popularity of these type of events.   The first One Big Holiday (2014) was a My Morning Jacket love fest.  (Similar to the first Solid Sound - I wasn't able to attend SS 2, 3, or 4) We all walked around saying hello and helping each other out while our minds were blown with 3 incredible set lists.  They only sold around 1,600 total tickets for a venue that held 2,500.  These type of events had only been put on by Widespread Panic at the time.  The second year was more of the same.  The third year was a bit more frat boy and by 2018 (4th event, 5 years later) in the Dominican Republic with 3,500 or was it 4,000 things had changed drastically.  MMJ played all their albums in order and I met someone that didn't even realize that.  I also met people that had only heard of My Morning Jacket and where there for Portugal The Man.  These people weren't being assholes but shows you that it's more than the music for some.  

We think this will be a fantastic event filled with Wilco fans. We loved the Dead and Co event we did in 2018 and hard to see any downside at all to seeing 3 Wilco shows in the same venue (maximum setlist variety as they know everyone there is there for all 3 shows) plus Jeff set and other performers other than it is relatively expensive and requires an ability to take off from work. We were a bit skeptical of Mexico and the water and everything else when we did Dead and Co and it was just an amazing weekend. We hope to do the Avett Brothers one as well end of February in the Dominican Republic. 

I can;t make it to this one due to work, but I went to the Dead and Company last year and it was absolutely magnificent. The area around the concerts is gorgeous with something for everyone. I did something different everyday, cenotes, jungle, Tulum ruins, snorkeling, swimming. Amazing place, and the music lineup looks great. It;s one of those things you're not likely to regret.

I can;t make it to this one due to work, but I went to the Dead and Company last year and it was absolutely magnificent. The area around the concerts is gorgeous with something for everyone. I did something different everyday, cenotes, jungle, Tulum ruins, snorkeling, swimming. Amazing place, and the music lineup looks great. It;s one of those things you're not likely to regret.

Sound like Dead and Co. were at the same location as SBS, yes?

I’m curious to see how those of you that have done one of these dealt with the water issue. Is there any food you have to avoid because of it? I’ve clearly never been to Mexico so this may be a stupid question!

No.  The Dead and Phish events are put on by CID Entertainment at a much larger hotel.  The Hard Rock has been used as a "jump hotel" for these events where they bus people over the the much larger (I believe 10K attendance) sponsor hotel.   

Wilco's Sky Blu Sky is put on by Cloud 9.  They put on the Riviera Maya Hard Rock (2,500-3,000) and the Hard Rock Dominican Republic (3,500-4,000) events. http://www.cloud9adventures.com/

I’m curious to see how those of you that have done one of these dealt with the water issue. Is there any food you have to avoid because of it? I’ve clearly never been to Mexico so this may be a stupid question!

There's bottled water everywhere!  The table side water for breakfast, lunch, and dinner comes from bottles as well.   I heard the ice is filtered.  We ate breakfast at Ipanema each morning (buffet style w/ omelettes etc. and dinner at Los Gallos and Toro each evening as well as grilled burgers, etc for lunch at the poolside grill.  We stayed away from anything else buffet style that was sitting around in warmers.  We had no issues.  

dead and co concerts were at the Barcelo resort but it was more people and other resorts were available. We stayed at Barcelo so i don't recall if one of the other involved resorts was the hard rock but cloud 9 coordinates most of these and they all seem to be run about the same. 

No.  The Dead and Phish events are put on by CID Entertainment at a much larger hotel.  The Hard Rock has been used as a "jump hotel" for these events where they bus people over the the much larger (I believe 10K attendance) sponsor hotel.   

Wilco's Sky Blu Sky is put on by Cloud 9.  They put on the Riviera Maya Hard Rock (2,500-3,000) and the Hard Rock Dominican Republic (3,500-4,000) events. http://www.cloud9adventures.com/

There's bottled water everywhere!  The table side water for breakfast, lunch, and dinner comes from bottles as well.   I heard the ice is filtered.  We ate breakfast at Ipanema each morning (buffet style w/ omelettes etc. and dinner at Los Gallos and Toro each evening as well as grilled burgers, etc for lunch at the poolside grill.  We stayed away from anything else buffet style that was sitting around in warmers.  We had no issues.  

we were concerned about the water but agree with this post and didn't hear of anyone having any issue. these big resorts often have own filtration plants and in any event can easily stick to bottled water

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the water.  Without tourism from the US, Europe, etc this part of Mexico would have gone bust long ago.  They can't afford for people to be getting sick. Tourist oriented businesses will offer bottled or filtered water and ice made from filtered water.  Don't drink from water fountains on the street, and if you go somewhere that looks a little rough (which are often the best places to go) order a drink that comes in a bottle or can.