1989 - A watershed year for music

This was a huge year for me in LIVE music, as I saw some pretty life-changing shows.

Violent Femmes/The Pogues/Mojo Nixon at Poplar Creek in Hoffman Estates (Chicago), IL. My first time ever hearing The Pogues.

Fishbone at Jesse Hall in Columbia, MO.

The Replacements at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

but the most life-changing show for me was:
fIREHOSE/Uncle Tupelo at The Blue Note in Columbia, MO. My first time ever hearing UT, a few months before No Depression was released.

Maybe it's cause I was only 7 this year, so my formative years music wasn't kicking into gear yet, and the stuff I look back at fondly came before this, but this is a year of things waiting to happen in my eyes (as well as dying off), more than things happening.

The coolest record of 1989 has to be Pixies Doolittle. Honorable mention to Soundgarden Louder Than Love

In other news Jawbreaker and Fugazi were getting going. Mudhoney put out their debut (with better things to come). REM was regrouping as was Bruce Springsteen. Sonic Youth was just about to get amazing with Goo, but not yet. Public Enemy was working of Fear of a Black Planet. Psychedelic Furs, Replacements, The Smiths were all running out of steam.

Kind of a crossroads.

Maybe it's cause I was only 7 this year, so my formative years music wasn't kicking into gear yet, and the stuff I look back at fondly came before this, but this is a year of things waiting to happen in my eyes (as well as dying off), more than things happening.

The coolest record of 1989 has to be Pixies Doolittle. Honorable mention to Soundgarden Louder Than Love

In other news Jawbreaker and Fugazi were getting going. Mudhoney put out their debut (with better things to come). REM was regrouping as was Bruce Springsteen. Sonic Youth was just about to get amazing with Goo, but not yet. Public Enemy was working of Fear of a Black Planet. Psychedelic Furs, Replacements, The Smiths were all running out of steam.

Kind of a crossroad.

I enjoyed everything about this post. I know nothing about Jawbreaker, and I would put New York as the coolest record. Certainly one of Lou's very best records of all time, and who is cooler than Lou?  :D

PE was crushing it then. I think they're the best of the whole genre, but that's just me. SG's Louder Than Love is underrated, but really a glimpse of what's to come. Badmotorfinger blew my head off when I first heard it.

I enjoyed everything about this post. I know nothing about Jawbreaker, 

They cornered the market on literate, poetic punk rock. Musically they started out as pretty straight forward punk, and became more expansive over the years. They were one of the crew of bands that got accused of inventing emo and didn't really know what to do with the term. It's rough around the edges in a way that might need teenage ears to be initiated, but you never know, I've met 40-something converts. 

https://youtu.be/2em3Lm-ssDs

massive disagreement here... i love Goo and it's rightly among their best records, but the EVOL > Sister > DDN run preceding it was even better.

also, my favorite Mudhoney records are the early singles and the S/T. good stuff after that, but far patchier. 

also, my favorite Mudhoney records are the early singles and the S/T. good stuff after that, but far patchier. 

Well, I guess I'm with you cause my favorite album of theirs isn't an album "Superfuzz Bigmuff plus" is largely built of those singles.

massive disagreement here... i love Goo and it's rightly among their best records, but the EVOL > Sister > DDN run preceding it was even better.

Also, debating SY records is fun cause it's such an abstract critical game. To my ears their best stuff always bridges the gap between chaos/abstraction and pop precision. This kept me very satisfied with their output the last 5-10 years they existed. Goo is so much tighter and more direct, but still like nothing no one else could even try and make. It's like Daydream Nation stripped for export.

Also, debating SY records is fun cause it's such an abstract critical game. To my ears their best stuff always bridges the gap between chaos/abstraction and pop precision. This kept me very satisfied with their output the last 5-10 years they existed. Goo is so much tighter and more direct, but still like nothing no one else could even try and make. It's like Daydream Nation stripped for export.

they really only hit a low point for me in the Experimental and NYC Ghosts records, and even those records had some good songs.