In my many years at Via, I have yet to manage to post in time for a "Live! Tonight!" Clearly, I am too slow for this process. :P

But anyway I got to see Kevin Morby (ssf alumnus) perform in the tiny 200-seat Clive Davis Theatre at the Grammy Museum night before last, and it was one of those transcendent evenings where every detail was perfect. 

it began with a Q and A between Kevin and Tim Heidecker that was as endearing and funny and deeply introspective as any fan could hope for, followed by an intense, passionate set in the tiny, close theatre that left my brain melted for hours. I didn't manage to sleep until 7 a.m. Damn. I couldn't wind down!

I'm salivating for Kevin's show at the Belasco on Saturday. The Grammy show reminded me how good he is at drawing an audience into his world. It's an incredible place, too.

Expect me to be useless on Sunday. I'll be recuperating.

20220927_205645.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilco.    Noteworthy as this is my 100th Wilco show. 

Despite all the controversy with the Springsteen tickets I managed to score decent seats on the verified fan sale in about 10 minutes yesterday. I got ADA seats 4 rows back behind the stage. Those sea

As promised, here's some pictures of the Beths on Friday night. As I don't drink they put me at the side of the stage in the all ages area. A guy was there with his 13 year old daughter. He wasn't fam

Posted Images

6 hours ago, tinnitus photography said:

Pavement, if they were a simile to an apex predator re: bands, would be a ravenous great shark who can sprint on land.

no band can touch them right now. 

Nice to know they've still got it. I saw them waaaaay early on in a tiny club. Can't remember what they were touring but it was a monumental show.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Nice to know they've still got it. I saw them waaaaay early on in a tiny club. Can't remember what they were touring but it was a monumental show.

they occupy a strange place for me in terms of bands i love and seeing them. i was onto them pretty early; got a copy of Slay Tracks from a second hand dealer after grabbing the 10" and other early singles and saw them in 91 at the Middle East upstairs. always bought whatever record they were releasing and loved their material.

then i didn't see them again until that 2010 reunion; not sure why i never saw them when they were in their prime.

this tour is WAY better than the first reunion.

through the power and the beauty of the internet, someone actually recorded the show i went to:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tinnitus photography said:

they occupy a strange place for me in terms of bands i love and seeing them. i was onto them pretty early; got a copy of Slay Tracks from a second hand dealer after grabbing the 10" and other early singles and saw them in 91 at the Middle East upstairs. always bought whatever record they were releasing and loved their material.

then i didn't see them again until that 2010 reunion; not sure why i never saw them when they were in their prime.

this tour is WAY better than the first reunion.

through the power and the beauty of the internet, someone actually recorded the show i went to:

I forget, did you make it to any of the NIN shows this tour? There were only 25 total, 2 of them at Boston Calling. As you know they were the pinch hitters for that festival filling in for Foo Fighters & Strokes. The last leg starting in Red Rocks & ending in Cleveland was phenomenal. I got lucky & was able to catch 2 shows in Oregon. My concert going days may be coming to an end soon & if that's the case the road trip was a good way to go out. Both shows I saw were amazing & very different from each other. Trent had a phenomenal band this touring cycle. He says if & when he plays live again it will be totally different. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next! 2 weeks later I'm still buzzing from the shows I saw. & I've seen hundreds of shows from my days in the music biz. Hard to get me riled up like that these days.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

I forget, did you make it to any of the NIN shows this tour? There were only 25 total, 2 of them at Boston Calling. As you know they were the pinch hitters for that festival filling in for Foo Fighters & Strokes. The last leg starting in Red Rocks & ending in Cleveland was phenomenal. I got lucky & was able to catch 2 shows in Oregon. My concert going days may be coming to an end soon & if that's the case the road trip was a good way to go out. Both shows I saw were amazing & very different from each other. Trent had a phenomenal band this touring cycle. He says if & when he plays live again it will be totally different. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next! 2 weeks later I'm still buzzing from the shows I saw. & I've seen hundreds of shows from my days in the music biz. Hard to get me riled up like that these days.

no, unfortunately Solid Sound got moved to the same weekend as Boston Calling, and SS's lineup was far more to my tastes. I had a friend who caught a couple of the NIN shows and said they were phenomenal. i have actually never seen NIN. I shot them on the tour w/ Soundgarden but didn't get a review ticket, just a photo pass. I did see How To Destroy Angels once.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, remphish1 said:

Ah yes read about that if you go let me know how it was ☺️

I did go to the Pavement Museum and will post about it here because others may be interested. If you want to know more, you know how to find me.  :)

There were some very interesting artifacts, ranging from Malkmus’s original notebooks (I took a pic of the page with a bit of Summer Babe), a page of unused checks from the Pavement, Inc. checkbook, passport photos of all 4 band members, to gold records, an MTV award, and hours of video.  There were tons of posters, ads, fanzines, t-shirts, artwork.

I stayed about half an hour.  I could have stayed for hours and watched a lot of video, but they were setting up to interview someone I’m sure I should have recognized (and who I think thought I recognized him when I said hello, but I was just being friendly LOL), and they were asking people to clear out of that area for half an hour.  I’m sure I can see most of that video on YouTube, and I really wanted to be home before rush hour. 

7C2656ED-C776-4193-9726-947DC56D63B1.jpeg

• Like 2

20221001_192213.jpgGot to see Kevin Morby's magnificent show tonight (well, last night now) in L.A. at the Belasco.

It was one for the ages! Started off with the new album and then got songs off every one of his solo albums, just the greatest setlist. I'll try to get the list. Kevin looked great in his fringed gold jacket and gold glitter flecks scattered across his cheekbones...with the way he leaps around, the jacket fringe was flying and the glitter lit under the stagelights like sparks. 

His band, the Photographs, is so in tune with each other (literally and figuratively) that they swoop and dive through the songs like a murmuration of starlings. What a capable & talented crew! Wilco fans would recognize longtime Tweedy Band member Liam Kazar playing bass. One guest band member brought waves of nostalgia...guitarist Meg Duffy, who was in Kevin's band when they played SSF in 2017, and did a set of her own at last May's SSF. The interplay between Meg, Cyrus, and Kevin was a joy to watch. They were having SO much fun with "City Music"!

Meg and Kevin even reprised their piggyback guitarist trick! :rock:lol

I didn't take many pictures because I really just wanted to soak up the music tonight, but I'll add a couple.

Also attending the show tonight was SSF alumnus Courtney Barnett. She had a great time, from all appearances. ❤️

20221001_220609.jpg

20221001_213909.jpg

20221001_220040.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Looks like Hoodoo Gurus are going to give the US another go. They've cancelled twice due to COVID. Playing Seattle May 20. Love that band!

Yes, I’m so excited!  They’ll be in NYC on May 5.  Hoodoo Gurus are one of my all time favorite bands.  :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, brownie said:

Yes, I’m so excited!  They’ll be in NYC on May 5.  Hoodoo Gurus are one of my all time favorite bands.  :)

At 1 point the Gurus came to Seattle for a theater show & the day before they played an invite only show in a tiny bar. I think there were only 2 songs repeated between the shows. This was definitely in younger & wilder days so I got real polluted for the club show. I was standing in front of the stage screaming for "Middle of the Land" & they played an excellent version of it. Like most of the Aussie bands, really nice guys.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Afghan Whigs tonight

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Whigs last night & left a bit early. Pink Mountaintops opened & were ok. The Whigs used to have more nuance (for lack of a better term). Last night was just loud & Greg Dulli was a bit screechy. At least it was inexpensive...

50 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Whigs last night & left a bit early. Pink Mountaintops opened & were ok. The Whigs used to have more nuance (for lack of a better term). Last night was just loud & Greg Dulli was a bit screechy. At least it was inexpensive...

Bummer. I'm sorry they weren't on top of their game. For me the overly aggressive audience put a damper on their NOLA show. 

• Like 1