Jeff is so jaded, from the horse's mouth ...

This is all fair, and fine although I'd suggest we'd all be better not to take a sweeping critical dismissal to heart as a personal affront. To me these discussions can take the same jovial rudeness as dismissing a sports team and all of their fans. 

More on topic: does this particular preference in rock music lead to dissatisfaction with much of Wilco's post-2000 output?

Less on topic: do you dig Hiss Golden Messenger? That's a pretty good example of a group doing nothing new, style-wise, that I find very enjoyable.

If the question is, "Does a preference for classic rock lead to dissatisfaction with much of Wilco's post-2000 output," I'd have to say yes, for myself. Maybe post-2004 would be a more specific timeframe. I love the Wilco run from A.M. through AGIB... after that, it's pretty hit or miss for me.

I'm only a couple years older than JT, but come not from a tradition of The Minutemen or The Clash but rather classic rock, hard rock, prog rock, etc. Consequently (perhaps), I'd rather hear the "encore rockers" they've been playing lately than anything off the new record.

If the question is, "Does a preference for classic rock lead to dissatisfaction with much of Wilco's post-2000 output," I'd have to say yes, for myself. Maybe post-2004 would be a more specific timeframe. I love the Wilco run from A.M. through AGIB... after that, it's pretty hit or miss for me.

I'm only a couple years older than JT, but come not from a tradition of The Minutemen or The Clash but rather classic rock, hard rock, prog rock, etc. Consequently (perhaps), I'd rather hear the "encore rockers" they've been playing lately than anything off the new record.

This is an interesting pickle to me that I can't relate to, but I can understand. I can see how folks with these tastes are less thrilled with Ode to Joy than I am, but I don't see any future album really scratching your itch.

To me that's like wishing Radiohead were more of an alternative rock band, or that Portishead would release an album that's more hiphop, or wanting Sturgill Simpson to release a straight-ahead country record, or that Fugazi had been more of a hardcore band. You get what I mean, these acts- like Wilco- all represent people who were steeped in a tradition and spent the majority of their output pivoting away from it, or deconstructing it.

The condescending part of what you said is implying that everyone must surely share your opinion about how boring classic rock is.  You could have just spoken for yourself and not been indirectly dismissive of people who happen to not share your opinion.  "Is anybody NOT bored by a group of white guys playing guitar, guitar, bass, drums, vocals in a slightly shouty, distorted, boozy manner?  I sure as hell am."

It really doesn't take much effort to be considerate in discussions of opinion about art and aesthetics and its kinder to do so.

Then perhaps that quote is what you should have directly responded to, rather than a long post where I was saying something totally different.

Was my initial comment a ridiculous overstatement?  Of course, but so what?  (In my opinion) Your feelings are not hurt, you're just giving me shit because I'm a safer target than Jeff Tweedy.  I don't mind taking shit, so fire away. 

I fucking love classic rock.  The idea that you don't get that (after I've made hundreds of posts on classic rock threads on this forum for over a decade) means you aren't paying attention to the entire point of this thread (which is, what drives someone to create new work?) or anything I ever post here except that which you disagree with.  Everything I've said in this topic falls under the umbrella of what Tweedy likely meant in his statement (something along the lines of classic rock isn't where I go for inspiration anymore).  That's a lot different than the face value meaning.  I've used myself and my personal taste in new music as an example to illustrate how it's possible to say something that appears wide ranging, but actually means something much narrower, which is exactly what I believe Tweedy did. 

I'm not just making a bunch of random statements here that are independent from that context, but I'm being critiqued as if I am.

Tweedy's full quote regarding rock music being boring from the article (the whole paragraph):

He found some inspiration in unlikely places - namely, hip-hop records.  Not that Ode to Joy sounds much like Chance the Rapper.  Rather, it was the spirit of that music that moved Tweedy:  "Hip-hop records are almost uniformly invigorating for me.  There's a mindset in the way people go about making those albums. If you're doing something that was done four months ago, you're a loser. They're not concerned with legacy or status quo. On the other hand, rock music has become almost universally boring to me.  It's becoming similar to older music like jazz or blues, where it's really far away from self-invention and promoting some idea of the future.  It's not liberating.  It's preserving. And when you're trying to preserve something, to me that's rooted in fear of losing it."

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the single best post on VC ever.

Uzuri: Yep Theres not much known about the horse yet. I dont know his I just looked at the character sheet again and yep, hes male name for one. Im want to name him Rio or Copper if it turns out he has none. Bretts Horse sounds so wrong to me. Bluewolf

bbop, you posted just a bit too early.

Don't spook the horse.

Thanks for preserving that one! That's why I wanted to quickly quote the other one... :lol

:banana

I can't for the life of me discern the purpose of a bot uttering such arbitrary banalities. Maybe if we engage with it, it would try and sell us tickets to Hawaii? 

eventually they will tell us that our social security number is in danger of being shut down and we need to call to re-activate it. 

Guest Cynthiachors

Uzuri: Yep Theres not much known about the horse yet. I dont know his I just looked at the character sheet again and yep, hes male name for one. Im want to name him Rio or Copper if it turns out he has none. Bretts Horse sounds so wrong to me.

Bluewolf

Guest Cindywerie

Uzuri: Yep Theres not much known about the horse yet. I dont know his I just looked at the character sheet again and yep, hes male name for one. Im want to name him Rio or Copper if it turns out he has none. Bretts Horse sounds so wrong to me.

Bluewolf

Uzuri: Yep Theres not much known about the horse yet. I dont know his I just looked at the character sheet again and yep, hes male name for one. Im want to name him Rio or Copper if it turns out he has none. Bretts Horse sounds so wrong to me. Bluewolf

Bluewolf?

Yeah, breaker one-nine...this here's the Rubber Duck. You got a copy on me Pig Pen, c'mon? Mercy sakes alive, looks like we've got us a...well, never mind. :headbonk