‪Wilco — 11 October 2019, Boston, MA (Boch Center Wang Theatre) [night 2 of 2]‬

I suppose that in some respects the band revealed during night 2 of 2 at Boston's Wang Theatre how they'll be handling setlist variety on leg one of the OtJ tour. We knew how the show would start (again promptly at 8:30), but I was surprised by how early Jeff took to the mic to address the crowd, or more accurately a group of men "with the biggest beers" Jeff had ever seen.

It was right after One and a Half Stars that Jeff called out the guys for texting, and after ribbing them for a moment he softened the blow with a "we're not playing for you, we're playing with you."

By my count, we got 17 repeated songs across the two nights. Night 2 featured 9 additional unique songs, including a beautiful On and On and On and one of the best live versions of Laminated Cat that this fan has ever seen. From my perspective, night two's crown jewel was the intense three song run: Laminated Cat, Random Name Generator, and We Were Lucky. We Were Lucky was truly a standout among the 8 OtJ songs; I have to imagine that that song will be converting fans that are either on the fence with the new material or aren't yet familiar with it.

It was before another new song, Everyone Hides, that Jeff once again engaged with the beer drinkers in the front row who were enjoying large cans of light beer. "A bit oxymoronic," Jeff said, "it's Friday.... get yourself a real fucking beer." Now I will refrain from projecting, but one must assume that Jeff was maybe feeling a bit unsure of how the comment landed because after the song he made peace with the beer drinkers: "I haven't had a real beer in 20 years. I have no business shaming your beverage choice."  

As before, the band did not exit the stage for the encore, which started with Hold Me Anyway, a song that Jeff said was written for such an occasion. He made the same comment the previous night too. 

Others should feel free to chime in with their comments. Here's the setlist:

‪Bright Leaves‬
‪Before Us‬
I am Trying to Break Your Heart
‪War on War‬ 
One and a Half Stars
Handshake Drugs
At Least That’s What You Said
Someone to Lose
Hummingbird
White Wooden Cross
Via Chicago
Laminated Cat
Random Name Generator
We Were Lucky
Love is Everywhere (Beware)
On and On and On
Impossible Germany
Box Full of Letters
Everyone Hides
Jesus, etc.
Theologians
I’m the Man Who Loves You
——————
Hold Me Anyway
Misunderstood (24 nothings?)
California Stars
The Late Greats

Another amazing show that kept me on my toes all night in more ways than one. Loved all of the omissions, additions and shuffling. Tough to pick a favorite night. Glad I went to both (as I have in the past) and maybe this will convince more to take a risk to see more than one show in the same place.

That setlist is what I have as well. I counted 23 nothings.

Loved Jeff’s banter about the giant glass of light beer. “It’s a bit of an oxymoron. Right?” And he called out three guys in front who were texting.

Surprised the most about getting On & On & On. Perfect!

Someone To Lose was also a nice surprise addition. Glad they could drop If I Ever Was A Child for at least one night and replace it with another Schmilco song. The whole section from Via Chicago through On & On & On was incredible. Obviously very different than last night. Not For The Season was killer! Stunned to not get at least one of HTFL & BBN, but that’s ok. I also expected Company In My Back instead of IATTBYH, as they’ve done on past shows on this tour, but it really works so well as the 3rd song of the night. All of the changes made for a very unique setlist on this tour. Oh, and At Least That’s What You Said was also phenomenal.

Tonight the band never took a break. Jeff almost did the same speech as night 1 about “let’s pretend we left and came back.” Show was over right around 10:30ish.

I think Jeff was playing an electric guitar on The Late Greats which I’ve never heard or seen before.

On a final note, I did get to see the printed setlist which was exactly the same set that we got. It had California Stars as the start of the encore, fwiw.

9 new songs tonight. 11 songs that were unique to the first night.

Really a 180 from last night in so many ways ..

Jeff was more involved with banter tonight

I.e. repeatedly commenting on the size of lite beers then moving into burning the same folk that were drinking lite large beers and texting.

We are playing not for you but with you!

Another comment later “ Get a real Beer “

Moreover and more importantly it was to me a better range of the band both setlist wise, and Band Wise

Hell,we even got a banjo plucked by Pat.

This was a better, louder ( at the appropriate spots)

overall, crowd than last nite and the band knew it.

It will be another few years before the band plays Boston proper again ..

As always Grateful ...

Surprised the most about getting On & On & On. Perfect!

There's a story here. If anyone here is also in the Shot in the Arm Group on FB, I had posted that my wife of 36 years died this summer from lung cancer. Sharon was my partner in so many musical adventures, but especially in all things Wilco. We had been to all of the first five SS's until 2019 when she was too sick to go. On and On and On was one of her favorite Wilco songs and since it fit the scene so well I had it played at the end of her funeral while everyone stood. I had the lyrics printed for everyone. It was intensely emotional for all there. So I've been requesting the song on the website. I told this story in my first request, and then made a lot of requests all for Sharon. I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that Wilco played On and On and On for Sharon. 

There's a story here. If anyone here is also in the Shot in the Arm Group on FB, I had posted that my wife of 36 years died this summer from lung cancer. Sharon was my partner in so many musical adventures, but especially in all things Wilco. We had been to all of the first five SS's until 2019 when she was too sick to go. On and On and On was one of her favorite Wilco songs and since it fit the scene so well I had it played at the end of her funeral while everyone stood. I had the lyrics printed for everyone. It was intensely emotional for all there. So I've been requesting the song on the website. I told this story in my first request, and then made a lot of requests all for Sharon. I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that Wilco played On and On and On for Sharon. 

I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that the band played it for you both. 

Someone To Lose was also a nice surprise addition. Glad they could drop If I Ever Was A Child for at least one night and replace it with another Schmilco song. 

That's an improvement, I'd go one better and hope that they play Cry All Day in it's place when they come to CO.

:thumbup

that's quite touching, Gary.

sorry i didn't see you last night, i thought i saw you as you were heading to your seat before wilco got on... you were a lot closer than i was (row V) if that was you! 

Much love to you. I'm glad they played it for you.

^^^Me too. It is one of the things I love about the band.

Though we have never met, I do remember you writing about your wife's recent passing. I'm so, so pleased (and I know that may sound weird, given all that you have been through) that you got to hear On and On and On last night.

Peace to you.

It was jawdropping when they started the song. I had friends sitting in various seats all over the place, afterwards I saw that my phone blew up when they played it.

Another incredible personal story from last night. Over the last several years I've come to know this guy (he's my daughter's age) that I know from around town who's a big Phish and jam band music fan. We've become friends over the years and see each other at lots of shows. I haven't seen him in a long time given Sharon's illness and passing. He's pretty connected (his dad is a big deal in town). Before the show he asked me for my seat location and told me to stay in my seat after the show, a friend of his was going to bring me "something." I had no idea but my imagination was running wild. Turns out she found me and handed me the posters for both nights (they fit together) both autographed by the full band! Amazing. People are so kind. 

It was jawdropping when they started the song. I had friends sitting in various seats all over the place, afterwards I saw that my phone blew up when they played it.

Another incredible personal story from last night. Over the last several years I've come to know this guy (he's my daughter's age) that I know from around town who's a big Phish and jam band music fan. We've become friends over the years and see each other at lots of shows. I haven't seen him in a long time given Sharon's illness and passing. He's pretty connected (his dad is a big deal in town). Before the show he asked me for my seat location and told me to stay in my seat after the show, a friend of his was going to bring me "something." I had no idea but my imagination was running wild. Turns out she found me and handed me the posters for both nights (they fit together) both autographed by the full band! Amazing. People are so kind.

Gary, it’s so inspiring to hear every bit of this story. I can only imagine how much this all meant to you because it really means a lot even to those of us who are hearing it secondhand. Also, how wonderful that you are able to appreciate this generosity and support. Like Jeff says, you’ve got family out there.

We Were Lucky is truly amazing live.  And this live version of Laminated Cat is the best I can remember.  There's so much intensity in both those songs - I was exhausted after each.

Between the 2 Boston shows, I have to say I enjoyed the first night a bit better (in the context of both being incredibly enjoyable). Perhaps it was just that it was the first time hearing most of the OTJ songs as full-band versions (and most of them for the first time altogether), but I also just really enjoyed the first 1:00-1:10 of the first night where the entire setlist seemed all-tension, no-release.   Night 2 felt a bit more even-keeled, I suppose.

Both nights, I found the Impossible->Box pairing just a bit odd.  To my brain it's more of a "ipod Shuffle" transition than one I truly enjoy. 

Glenn's playing is a real joy to watch, i think on the OTJ songs even more so - and I was happy to have seats both nights that gave me a good view.