Wilco — 13 November 2019, Louisville KY (Palace Theater)

"Oh yeah, it's Wilco Wednesday.  It's just like Taco Tuesday, except it's Wilco.  And it means that you have to be better than just a Wednesday audience."

And with that proclamation after the fourth song, the challenge was upon us.  I thought we did a pretty admirable job in stepping up, but maybe I'm biased. 

Wilco delivered another intense and full-throttle show for the Louisville audience in the gorgeous Palace theater this evening, playing to a rather sparsely filled venue (the balcony was filled about halfway back, and the wings on the floor were pretty sparse in the back as well) on a mid-week chilly night.  Deep Sea Diver opened the show for their last time on this tour, with a loud and rocking 28 minute set as well as a nice cameo on Cali Stars later in the evening.  The opening band was also spotted watching most of the show from the edge of the pit and rightly enjoying themselves the whole time.

A few random items of note... the background image during One and a Half Stars is the same geometric pattern that is on Glenn's new kick drum... Jeff was donning the beanie all evening... he once again did the off-mic "I'm the man who loves you" line at the end of IATTBYH... the "rODEo" guitar was AWOL again, with Jeff using the small one with the two large silver knobs sticking out the side near the neckfor the new songs... during Hummingbird (when he has no guitar in his hands to keep them busy), he walked over and gave one of Glenn's cymbals a couple smacks during one of the instrumental parts... and I guess that's about it.

The crowd:  was great.  Standing on the floor the whole time, except for a few folks in the pit and near it who sat but didn't fuss about it.  Even some folks in the balcony stood and went nuts during songs like "Always in Love", which Jeff noticed as the the lighting allowed and gave them some smiles.  Long, loud applause, and very little if any heckling to speak of.  There were a couple guys in the front row smack dab in front of Jeff, who were a little chatty and very busy taking video's of everything.  They earned a bit of a finger wag and VERY direct "It's Not About Youuuuuu" directed right at them during Reservations, but otherwise folks were pretty good. 

The banter: good though not overly generous.  Later in the set, Jeff announced that "the dirges and sad songs are all done now, so you've got to BRING IT!"  He also commented (after a less-than-over-the-top applause for one song) that "we seem to be missing some secret sauce for Wilco Wendesday... you're gonna have to give it up some more".  Which we did, and after Always in Love received a "That's more like it".  Another good one early on was when he did his second "howyadoin", which came out a little on the wimpy side.  He noticed that and said "That's not the tone they teach you for that line in rock and roll frontman school", and then proceeded to really dial up the wimp factor for a couple more lines before the audience rescued him out of it.  The only other notable one I recall was after the fake encore break, when the crowd is showering them with applause and Jeff was feigning the shock and overwhelmedness(?), Jeff thanked us for the "spontaneous outpouring of affection".

Nova report - stunning, even without the Cat.  I heard from the lighting guy Jeremy that the visual effects for that one are neither motor oil nor actual blood, but simply acrylic paint and oil oozing over glass.  Now you know.

Pat report - a bit more animated than Cinci, with noticeably more oomph in the windmills and improved trademark sneer. 

Deep Sea Diver joined for Cali Stars in the encore, with Jessica playing guitar (including taking one of the "lead" breaks between verses with some amazing guitar dueling with Nels) and singing backup with John.  Good stuff. 

Here is the setlist as played, and there were no changes from the printed setlist... other than the notable nod to the lighting guy below.

Bright Leaves
Before Us
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Kamera

Handshake Drugs

ALTWYS

One and a Half Stars
Hummingbird
White Wooden Cross
Via Chicago
Bull Black Nova

Random Name Generator
Reservations
Impossible Germany (AKA "Impossible Jeremy" as listed on the printed setlist)

Jesus, etc

We Were Lucky
Love Is Everywhere (Beware)
Box Full Of Letters
Everyone Hides
Theologians
I’m The Man Who Loves You (fake encore break)
Hold Me Anyway

Late Greats
----------------------------------
California Stars (with Deep Sea Diver onstage)

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century) >

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

It's well past my bedtime and I gotta go to work tomorrow... cheers all!!

Vince

Well, thanks for filling in the deets in my stead (and oh so promptly!). I guess I need to start getting a Red Bull or something in me and pumping those reports out more expeditiously...

Too bad about the relatively sparse attendance. Wonder if they will play that new room in town next time. What’s it called, Paristown something or other? Or is that too small? Glad to hear people stood, though, and there was no blowback. I wonder what it is about some crowds or venues where people just stay glued to the seats and others where people are up right away. Guess it’s the enduring mystery of the theater show.

And nice that DSD got a little on-stage time with the Wilcotics at the end of their opening run. As I’ve said, their music doesn’t quite grab me (though I enjoyed it more in Indy than previously) but they seem like nice folks.

Here is the setlist as played, and there were no changes from the printed setlist... other than the notable nod to the lighting guy below.

Impossible Germany (AKA "Impossible Jeremy" as listed on the printed setlist)

I learned tonight that this was apparently a bit of a boo-boo by whomever typed/printed the setlists (Matrix?) in that it was actually monitor tech Jared's birthday. And I assume that was the intention of the "Impossible" mention (Matrix does have a sense of humor, but perhaps spaced out on the 'J' names among the crew?) Anyway...extreme fan nerdery here. :shifty

I learned tonight that this was apparently a bit of a boo-boo by whomever typed/printed the setlists (Matrix?) in that it was actually monitor tech Jared's birthday. And I assume that was the intention of the "Impossible" mention (Matrix does have a sense of humor, but perhaps spaced out on the 'J' names among the crew?) Anyway...extreme fan nerdery here. :shifty

I've wondered who's in charge of the printing / cutting / distributing of those.