Had Warren done the same, it would have helped Sanders but not to same extent. 

The thing that has surprised me most about this election has been learning, mostly over the past few days, how many of my Warren-supporting friends had Biden as their second choice.  Several people I know decided that Warren probably wasn't going any further, and voted for Biden on Super Tuesday.  I don't know that if she had dropped out prior to Tuesday that it would have helped Sanders all that much.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Makes me nervous about Bernie Bros who say they'll stay home in November if he doesn't get the nomination.

I don't get that logic. Apparently, there were an un-insignificant amount of Bernie Supporters who voted for Trump. I can't get my mind around that kind of decision making. 

I can see Biden getting some moderate Republican votes. He's about as middle of the road as one can get. My mother-in-law was going to vote for Bloomberg for this upcoming Illinois primary. She didn't really like him, but thought he had a good chance of beating Trump. 

I think that "beating Trump" is driving a lot of potential Dem voters, as opposed to policy, which is the state we're in. I mean, if it were a choice between Trump and someone else who espoused the exact same policies, I would be hard pressed to not to vote for the other guy. 

• 6 months later...

I've noticed something about Biden that I wish he would work on, or that his team would have trained out of him by now.   He'll start to make  what is obviously going to be a direct, plain spoken and clear statement from his heart, then before getting to the meat of the statement he stops, says "Look...", then veers off into a related but much less clear statement.  

He does this a LOT, and if he would overcome this habit it would greatly increase the effectiveness of his message, and probably score him a lot of powerful sound bites.

That's my primary criticism of Biden's performance, and of him in general as a debater.  

My criticism of Trump is that he's was and is a miserable, abusive sack of shit from the word go and stayed that way through the entire debate.

This is all starting to feel very suspicious to me. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but Trump's "health watch" will now eclipse:

- NYT acquires Trump’s Tax Returns
-"Stand down and standby" 
-The debate debacle and/or avoidance 
-Melania Tapes
-Brad Parscale suicide watch 
-Kimberly Guilfoyle sexual harassment
-Sinking poll numbers

He lies so much that it’s hard to believe he’s now telling us the whole truth. 

It could possibly solve one (or more than one) of many problems:

• gets him out of future debates
  • allows for a complete reset of his campaign (likely counting on Biden to take the gentleman's stance on this one, and "pause" his campaign while Trump is out of commission)
  • allows him to pop up in two weeks and say "see, no worse than the flu!"; or, "hydroxychloroquine works!"
  • allows him to bow out of the race entirely, which would give the entire republican party cover to say that they would have won, if only Trump had been healthy

Also, none of these even require him to know about this plan!  The republican party could have orchestrated this whole thing, either giving him the virus or just telling him he's got it!

(I saw a tweet last night addressing all of these conspiracy theories and then landing on "Occam's razor:  he's dumb and he caught it".   Yep, that is highly likely.)

What if a few Republican senators dying or going into comas from Covid is how RBG's seat goes unfilled?

That'd sure be a twist.

I can envision Mitch McConnell right now getting the every Republican in the senate to write notes saying their dying wish is to vote for Amy Coney Barrett, and then if enough of them die, McConnell arguing that those are valid votes.

3 hours ago, jff said:

What if a few Republican senators dying or going into comas from Covid is how RBG's seat goes unfilled?

At least one republican senator (Mike Lee from Utah) has tested positive.  He and the president of Notre Dame, who has also tested positive, were both at her nomination ceremony.  I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of a few more cases from that event.

I'm hearing rumblings on twitter that Pence has cancelled his upcoming schedule. If true, I wonder what that's about? Is trump sick enough that Pence may need to take over? Or does Pence himself have covid?
Somebody get that poor fly tested.

Pelosi's press conference today implied that the 25th amendment might be under consideration, given Trump's "altered" mental state. If so that could explain Pence's sudden change of plans. Supposedly she'll be discussing it more tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

Election night 2020, and my gut is in knots again. How are you all holding up? 

It's about 6:20 p.m. here in CA. Hoping and dreading the hours ahead. Trying for more hope and less dread, but damn this is scary!

Extremely concerned at this point. It's looking like a possible repeat of 2016, which is nauseating.