Wilco Offer Free, On-Demand Stream of ‘I Am Trying to Break Your Heart’ Documentary

Wilco Offer Free, On-Demand Stream of ‘I Am Trying to Break Your Heart’ Documentary

To help entertain fans in self-isolation, Wilco is offering their I Am Trying To Break Your Heart documentary for free from May 5-12.

According to a description, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart “captures the band Wilco and the creation of their record Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. A film which not only looks at a turbulent chapter in the band’s history, but also a breakthrough moment in the struggle for artistic freedom in the corporate-dominated music industry. Rolling Stone hailed it as “one of the greatest music documentaries of all time.”

The band also notes that while the documentary is free, any tips should be donated to Chicago’s My Block, My Hood, My City.

https://www.ohyouprettythings.com/free

Great initiative, but the quality of that Vimeo stream is horrendous.

The big news, however, can be found halfway the accompanying article:

Film First is currently working on a new 4K transfer and restoration of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart from the original 16mm film elements, which will be released later this year.

We just watched this again tonight, and I’m wondering: was this an edited version of the film? My wife and I haven’t seen it since it was new, so it’s very possible we’re misremembering, but both of us thought there were some missing scenes. 

We just watched this again tonight, and I’m wondering: was this an edited version of the film? My wife and I haven’t seen it since it was new, so it’s very possible we’re misremembering, but both of us thought there were some missing scenes. 

I haven't watched the streaming version but the DVD came with a bonus disc with an entire film worth of outtakes, which might have been what you're remembering.

I haven't watched the streaming version but the DVD came with a bonus disc with an entire film worth of outtakes, which might have been what you're remembering.

Yes, thanks. My wife did a little digging around on the internet and came up with this information yesterday. I suppose that's probably the explanation.