Jump to content
Beltmann

Now Watching 2021

Recommended Posts

We watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople this weekend.  It was terrific.  Not new, but highly recommended.  

 

huntforthewilderpeople.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

It was actually good! Fine mindless entertainment.

Ha, sometimes that's ideal. Sounds fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

What's the backstory? Sounds interesting!B)

2 piece metal band on tour (a couple) are on tour when the drummer suddenly starts to lose his hearing rapidly. He ends up at a school for the deaf & learning sign language while hoping for an operation to stop his loss. There's also an addiction element. It's on Amazon. Note: watch with subtitles as they give an additional perspective from his point of view. The flim was also nominated for best original screenplay. I thought the film was very original & not your run of the mill hollywood production. The director didn't get nominated but did write the screenplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days ago I watched Slacker for the umpteenth time because I’m reading Melissa Maerz’s book Alright, Alright, Alright: The Oral History of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused and the opening section contains roughly 50 wonderfully detailed pages about Slacker, Linklater's 1991 indie breakthrough. The film, which was made for $23,000 and has no plot, captures in amber the specific misfit subculture of Austin, Texas in the Nineties. The movie always peters out for me, but I nevertheless remain fascinated by its shaggy ambience and its baton-passing structure, which lets more than 80 characters take center stage for a few minutes. This movie was a formative experience for me as a burgeoning cinephile. Has it really been 30 years?
 

Bonus point, too, for how Teresa Taylor (aka Teresa Nervosa), one of the drummers for the Butthole Surfers, shows up. She delivers what is probably the movie's most iconic scene (see the linked video).
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over spring break I shared quite a few movies with my 13-year-old boy, including Airplane!, The Pride of the Yankees, 42, Ford v Ferrari, The Call of the Wild, and The Journey of Natty Gann (which, I remain persuaded, is one of the most underrated Disney live-action features). Best of all? We enjoyed a big-screen experience with The Wizard of Oz, which he had never seen before. (He always resisted my overtures, and you can't force these things.) Damn straight I lied and warned him the whole thing was black and white. And damn straight that key moment when Dorothy opens the door to Oz still has the power hold audiences rapt.

Tonight we watched the Coens' version of True Grit, which was his first Western (unless Back to the Future III counts). I think we'll try High Noon next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I have watched:

The Stand

-So, for any "normal" writer, the obvious thing to do with this concept would be to make a gritty story about living in a post-lethal pandemic world. And this has that. But it also has some of Stephen King's more.... bizarre stuff in it. In the first episode you're like "what? the virus is named Captain Tripps? lol wut" but by the end you'll think, all things considered, it's not that weird of a name. I've read The Dark Tower series and knew this would be connected and therefor get a little out there. I liked it! The mini series formula works way better than a 2 hour film and this made me excited for Wizard & Glass.

Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal

-I for one, hate the rich.

Ted Lasso

-This is a show with a lot of heart. It was funny but also sweet. Ulimately, I think it's about leadership. It felt good to watch, sort of like Parks & Rec did. I highly recommend it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, Beltmann said:

A few days ago I watched Slacker for the umpteenth time because I’m reading Melissa Maerz’s book Alright, Alright, Alright: The Oral History of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused and the opening section contains roughly 50 wonderfully detailed pages about Slacker, Linklater's 1991 indie breakthrough. The film, which was made for $23,000 and has no plot, captures in amber the specific misfit subculture of Austin, Texas in the Nineties. The movie always peters out for me, but I nevertheless remain fascinated by its shaggy ambience and its baton-passing structure, which lets more than 80 characters take center stage for a few minutes. This movie was a formative experience for me as a burgeoning cinephile. Has it really been 30 years?
 

Bonus point, too, for how Teresa Taylor (aka Teresa Nervosa), one of the drummers for the Butthole Surfers, shows up. She delivers what is probably the movie's most iconic scene (see the linked video).
 

 

 

Eric, I've never seen this, but this scene makes me want to! :lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TCP said:

Recently I have watched:

The Stand

-So, for any "normal" writer, the obvious thing to do with this concept would be to make a gritty story about living in a post-lethal pandemic world. And this has that. But it also has some of Stephen King's more.... bizarre stuff in it. In the first episode you're like "what? the virus is named Captain Tripps? lol wut" but by the end you'll think, all things considered, it's not that weird of a name. I've read The Dark Tower series and knew this would be connected and therefor get a little out there. I liked it! The mini series formula works way better than a 2 hour film and this made me excited for Wizard & Glass.

 

There was a also mini-series made for TV in 1994. I think you can still find it on Youtube. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 8:40 AM, chuckrh said:

2 piece metal band on tour (a couple) are on tour when the drummer suddenly starts to lose his hearing rapidly. He ends up at a school for the deaf & learning sign language while hoping for an operation to stop his loss. There's also an addiction element. It's on Amazon. Note: watch with subtitles as they give an additional perspective from his point of view. The flim was also nominated for best original screenplay. I thought the film was very original & not your run of the mill hollywood production. The director didn't get nominated but did write the screenplay.

I watched The Sound of Metal a few months back and loved it.  Great performances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching Ramy on Hulu. Can't believe I haven't heard more about this show. It's funny, emotional, dark, weird. Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...