Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2021 Nominees

Play my curmudgeon card here and just ask in what world does Jay-Z belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Why not Taylor Swift next, or Randy Travis, or Skrillex? Is Eddie Vedder eligible for the Country Music Hall of Fame?  Now, get off my lawn. 

2 hours ago, sonicshoulder said:

Play my curmudgeon card here and just ask in what world does Jay-Z belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Why not Taylor Swift next, or Randy Travis, or Skrillex? Is Eddie Vedder eligible for the Country Music Hall of Fame?  Now, get off my lawn. 

If Jay-Z is in the Rock & Roll HOF, how is John Prine not in?

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

If Jay-Z is in the Rock & Roll HOF, how is John Prine not in?

Perfect example of why I no longer get worked up about the RRHOF and who is/isn't inducted.  The simple fact is that induction is based on popularity and commercial success (with very few exceptions).  It's no more meaningful than a Billboard award.

51 minutes ago, ih8music said:

Perfect example of why I no longer get worked up about the RRHOF and who is/isn't inducted.  The simple fact is that induction is based on popularity and commercial success (with very few exceptions).  It's no more meaningful than a Billboard award.

or a MTV award. Though I must admit those early MTV awards shows were pretty great - content/performance wise. 

5 minutes ago, uncool2pillow said:

Turner and King just getting in now is a travesty.

I was surprised Turner was not in the hall , already, as a solo artist. But the below may help explain things. Looking forward to  the HBO Tina doc to come out on DVD.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/how-racism-pushed-tina-turner-and-other-black-women-artists-out-of-america

22 hours ago, Analogman said:

I have a lot of those on tape. I used to tape a lot of music stuff back in those days. One of the great ones being the Guns 'N' Roses/Nirvana feud. 

Don't forget the Guns/Motley Crue feud, too. Doesn't get more entertaining than:

1989: Controversial comic Andrew Dice Clay's appearance at the 1989 Video Music Awards to promote his new movie, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, earned him a "lifetime ban" from the network when he introduced Cher with some of his recently notorious nursery rhymes that contained vulgar language and references.[14] After performing with Tom Petty, Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin was assaulted by Mötley Crüe lead singer Vince Neil, leading to a verbal battle between Neil and Guns N' Roses lead singer Axl Rose.[15]

6 hours ago, uncool2pillow said:

Turner and King just getting in now is a travesty.

King has been in the HOF as a songwriter since 1990.  This will be her second induction.

I think they intentionally hold back worthy inductees so there will always be one or two non-controversial "cred" inductees each year.

I'm convinced they also make sure to induct someone every year that will get people talking about how much the HOF sucks.  There's no bad publicity.

Don't get played.

1 hour ago, calvino said:

Don't forget the Guns/Motley Crue feud, too. Doesn't get more entertaining than:

Now - they fight it out on Twitter and in the courts.