Wilco — 26 August 2021, Lewiston, NY (Artpark Amphitheater)

Hi folks. Longtime member, but it's been a little while since I posted.

Here was the setlist (and please correct anything you see amiss. I compared my memory to a pic of the setlist):

1. A Shot in the Arm
2. Random Name Generator
3. Via Chicago
(Band left the stage due to rain. Came back 10-15 minutes later with equipment pushed farther back.)

4. Art of Almost
5. If I Ever Was a Child
6. Impossible Germany
7. Love Is Everywhere (Beware)
8. One Wing
9. Hummingbird
10. Everyone Hides
11. Box Full of Letters
12. Born Alone
13. Jesus, Etc.
14. Theologians
15. I'm the Man Who Loves You
16. Heavy Metal Drummer

17. I'm Always in Love

Encore:
18. Outtasite (Outta Mind)

This was my 20th Wilco show and first this year, driving with a friend from Cleveland to upstate New York to catch it. The band was energetic and seemed to be happy to be playing, which apparently seems to be a theme on this tour. Not only due to the COVID-induced break from the road but also because of weather. From what I've read, the band has taken bad weather with them to a lot of their Midwest and East Coast stops. Last night's concert started on time, but a venue staffer told the crowd after NNAMDÏ's set that officials were concerned about lightning.

But hey, everyone played! Sleater-Kinney started nearly an hour late and played a shorter set. Wilco got through three songs in the rain (not heavy but it was blowing toward the stage) before Jeff told us that "they're pulling the plug" and that the band would hopefully be back. Luckily they returned after 15 minutes or so and blasted through "Art of Almost."

I'm sure others will post observations about how shows are the same/different than others on the tour. For me, while I always want some more variety in the setlists, I thought the band sounded great and were energetic. Perhaps more than the past few shows I've seen. As I said, I think just being able to play was big, given the uncertainty with weather. Jeff was moving around more and visually interacting with the band a lot, and was even nice enough to give Nels a shoulder massage as the guitar maven closed out "Hummingbird."

I heard a security guard say the venue had a 10:45 p.m. curfew. Wilco was originally supposed to play from 8:30 to 10. "Outtasite (Outta Mind)" ended at 10:44. Good timing.

From a pic of the setlist I saw online the band had "One and a Half Stars" and "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" in the main set, and encores were listed as a choice between "Ashes of American Flags"/ "California Stars" or "The Late Greats"/"Outtasite (Outta Mind)".

I've been a fan of Sleater-Kinney for nearly as long as Wilco. I like the songs they played from the new album. But ... I miss Janet Weiss. The live band had six members and honestly I could have done without a couple of them. But Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein continue to be forces of nature.

I'm a big fan of NNAMDÏ's music on record. I think he has a way to go as a live performer. The music is there, though, and he has a crack band.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NoOneKnowsMe said:

This was my 20th Wilco show and first this year, driving with a friend from Cleveland to upstate New York to catch it. The band was energetic and seemed to be happy to be playing, which apparently seems to be a theme on this tour. Not only due to the COVID-induced break from the road but also because of weather. Frowhat I've read, the band has taken bad weather with them to a lot of their Midwest and East Coast stops. Last night's concert started on time, but a venue staffer told the crowd after NNAMDÏ's set that officials were concerned about lightning.

But hey, everyone played! Sleater-Kinney started nearly an hour late and played a shorter set. Wilco got through three songs in the rain (not heavy but it was blowing toward the stage) before Jeff told us that "they're pulling the plug" and that the band would hopefully be back. Luckily they returned after 15 minutes or so and blasted through "Art of Almost."

I'm sure others will post observations about how shows are the same/different than others on the tour. For me, while I always want some more variety in the setlists, I thought the band sounded great and were energetic. Perhaps more than the past few shows I've seen. As I said, I think just being able to play was big, given the uncertainty with weather. Jeff was moving around more and visually interacting with the band a lot, and was even nice enough to give Nels a shoulder massage as the guitar maven closed out "Hummingbird."

Hey, thanks for the report! Seems like this was another of the slightly cursed shows on this slightly cursed tour...BUT at least you got (almost) a full Wilco set! That sucks about Sleater-Kinney, though. This wasn't the first time they've kind of taken one for the team as the middle act on the bill. You feel bad for their fans, or anyone who was really looking forward to seeing them.