Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut provides plum roles for Olivia Colman, Dakota Johnson, and Jessie Buckley, but the best thing about The Lost Daughter is how it examines, with genuine honesty and dexterity, the kind of emotional currents that accompany parenthood and middle age that are rarely acknowledged on screen.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, calvino said:

We watched Don't Look Up --- horrible. We were really rooting for the meteor to hit the earth sooner. 

In terms of narrative, pacing, performances, and editing, it clunks again and again. (Did you notice that it doesn't have scenes? It only presents sketches for scenes.) I'm baffled by the vigor of its defenders. It's almost as if the mere fact that Don't Look Up has well-meaning satirical intentions means it's automatically a good movie. But well-meaning is not synonymous with well-made.

I've been stuck inside with COVID, so last weekend I binge-watched The Mandalorian. It's entertaining enough although the writing is kinda bad at times. Alll in all I can't complain because it gave me something entertaining to watch while convalescing. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Beltmann said:

In terms of narrative, pacing, performances, and editing, it clunks again and again. (Did you notice that it doesn't have scenes? It only presents sketches for scenes.) I'm baffled by the vigor of its defenders. It's almost as if the mere fact that Don't Look Up has well-meaning satirical intentions means it's automatically a good movie. But well-meaning is not synonymous with well-made.

Exactly --- if the intention was to make people actually think about global warming, etc. while making people laugh - it completely missed the mark for me - the humor, due to the writing, was completely lost on me.  (Typically, I enjoy McKay's movies)

None of the characters had any redeeming qualities, therefore I couldn't have any empathy for anyone or anything, while watching it.  

Haven’t watched it yet, but TCM is playing the elusive Looking For Mr. Goodbar at midnight (or in 90 minutes EST). This is one of those oft talked about films that never had a DVD or Blu-ray release in the U.S. & shows up once every five years or so on cable. I believe the issue was the music rights which were rumored to be astronomical with all of the disco songs in the film. Others think it might be due to the subject matter & Diane Keaton’s dark role. 

6 hours ago, u2roolz said:

Haven’t watched it yet, but TCM is playing the elusive Looking For Mr. Goodbar at midnight (or in 90 minutes EST). This is one of those oft talked about films that never had a DVD or Blu-ray release in the U.S. & shows up once every five years or so on cable. I believe the issue was the music rights which were rumored to be astronomical with all of the disco songs in the film. Others think it might be due to the subject matter & Diane Keaton’s dark role. 

very dark movie & quite graphic. i saw it a real long time ago.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, u2roolz said:

Haven’t watched it yet, but TCM is playing the elusive Looking For Mr. Goodbar at midnight (or in 90 minutes EST). 

Ugh, wish I had seen your post in time! I've been trying to see that movie for a long time.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:39 PM, u2roolz said:

On 1/21/2022 at 4:09 AM, chuckrh said:

very dark movie & quite graphic. i saw it a real long time ago.

Just finished watching this via Hulu --- man, dark is right. Kinda choppy in the storyline - but it works.  

Didn't realize it was shot in Chicago, until after I watched it. Assumed it was New York City. The ending was interesting --- not knowing the book ---

Spoiler

at first I thought the dude was stabbing himself.