• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May the fourth be with you! Happy Star Wars Day!

Started up Guillermo Del Toro's latest on HBOMAX: Nightmare Alley. Grim stuff. Will have to take a certain determination to get back into it.    Other recent viewings: Book of Boba Fett - en

My 14-year-old enjoyed See How They Run so much that I'm going to show him Knives Out soon, hopefully in time to take him to see The Glass Onion when it arrives. It's nice to see a throwback entertain

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

Thanks for these reviews! I loved "Knives Out".

Same here! I am looking forward to the sequel. The one thing that bothers me about watching it at home on Netflix is that there is no real barometer to measure it’s success. I know that they can tell who’s watching it. And a lot of their original films seem to have no real momentum. 

Beltmann, I have Pearl & Barbarian on my watch list. Maybe this weekend. 

edited for clarity: I felt the need to define success. I’m more interested in how many people are watching, as opposed to looking at box office receipts and counting the $$$. I feel that Netflix sends all of that stuff for a loop. I remember lots of people talking about Don’t Look Up during the Xmas break and then no one seems to be talking about it anymore. That’s what I was talking about when I meant they lack momentum. Then you look at something like Top Gun: Maverick and I can’t believe how many people have watched it and how it still has strong legs 4 months later. 

I saw the David Bowie documentary, Moonage Daydream, the other night.  I'm really glad I saw it but wasn't crazy about it.  The live footage was incredible but, for me, the overall experience was sort of frenetic and monotonous.  I knew it wasn't a standard biopic but I would have liked hearing from someone other than clips of Bowie in interviews.      

1 hour ago, Oil Can Boyd said:

I saw the David Bowie documentary, Moonage Daydream, the other night.  I'm really glad I saw it but wasn't crazy about it.  The live footage was incredible but, for me, the overall experience was sort of frenetic and monotonous.  I knew it wasn't a standard biopic but I would have liked hearing from someone other than clips of Bowie in interviews.      

I'm going to wait to watch it home. I've got a good enough sound system to enjoy it. The movies have gotten way too expensive since reopening after the pandemic.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chuckrh said:

I'm going to wait to watch it home. I've got a good enough sound system to enjoy it. The movies have gotten way too expensive since reopening after the pandemic.

:o

Compared to what has happened to the price of concert tickets??  I am on the verge of being priced out of live music, but tomorrow I will see two movies at AMC for $5 each on Discount Tuesday.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, brownie said:

:o

Compared to what has happened to the price of concert tickets??  I am on the verge of being priced out of live music, but tomorrow I will see two movies at AMC for $5 each on Discount Tuesday.

I was looking at the IMAX of the Bowie movie. It was $25 in these parts. One of the things I really liked about the NIN tour was Trent has made an effort to keep things fan friendly. The shows were GA, $100. He could play much bigger venues & charge way more money. Even the merch was fan friendly. High quality t-shirts were $30 (really nice long sleeve $40). In comparison I went to Roger Waters Saturday (great show, not quite as good as the Us+Them tour. expensive though). He was charging $50 for a regular t-shirt. I let him keep mine. Trent is also taper friendly although not officially due to some contract stuff. He told the guy who runs ninlive.com that he would never make him take down the archive. I'm listening to a stunning tape of the second show I went to in Bend. Amazing performance & recording.

22 hours ago, Beltmann said:

Ti West’s “Pearl" exists in the same universe as March’s “X,” but provides a wildly different experience. This time around, the horror is built by re-shuffling colorful parts taken from Douglas Sirk, Busby Berkeley, “The Wizard of Oz,” and more. It also gives Mia Goth a ripe opportunity to expand an original character from “X” through a show-stopping performance that, if it existed in any other genre, might generate some awards buzz.

That's one intense trailer! Wow.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:15 PM, u2roolz said:

See How They Run has the look & feel of an unproduced Woody Allen script directed by Wes Anderson. It has a dynamic visual flair and witty dialog. It’s also an homage to Agatha Christie. 

My 14-year-old enjoyed See How They Run so much that I'm going to show him Knives Out soon, hopefully in time to take him to see The Glass Onion when it arrives. It's nice to see a throwback entertainment meant to be light yet still well-crafted and eager to please. Twenty years ago, this kind of original movie was a regular item on the menu; these days, it feels like welcome nourishment after weeks spent in the desert. I've also been baffled by the studio's treatment of Confess, Fletch as an afterthought. The original Chevy Chase movie was formative for both my wife and me, so we planned to see the new movie this weekend, but it has already fled our area. This is hardly surprising, given how the marketing strategy amounted to, "let's not."

We currently live in a dire time of flux, with studios, distributors, theaters, and streamers all trying to figure out the best way to position movies in the evolving entertainment marketplace. Nobody knows anything right now, so we have a bewildering mix of experiments and strategies that most of the time feel like huge mistakes, with generic product being overproduced and actual movies too often being wounded or strangled in the process. It's not good for filmmakers or audiences, and I don't know how or when we will resolve this limbo, or whether we'll come out the other side in a better place.

• Like 2

What about Fletch Lives (1989)?

I recently watched the entire run of Gotham (not really my thing - but I was down with the virus).

I am now watching The Lorenskog Disappearance. Which is really the sort of thing I watch on there. I also watched for the 4th time Criminal UK. Which I still think is the best of all those (France, Spain, and Germany). Although I did like them all.

Also - the CCR documentary is on Netflix now. I have to say it is not much. If you already know about the band - it is nothing new. But we do get to see some new concert footage. I prefer the Oakland and Woodstock concerts myself.

There is a Dio documentary out. Which I guess is going to play in theaters. I don't know why they just did not do a deal with Netflix. I would like to see it, But I have not been to the movies in years. And I do not have a desire to go now.