I last viewed this playful, ruminative documentary in 2017, before Agnès Varda's death and before I started needing eye injections similar to those Varda receives in the film.

While visiting the grave of Henry Cartier-Bresson, Varda's co-director JR asks her whether she fears death.

"I don't think I'm afraid, but... I might be at the end," the 88-year-old Varda says. "I'm looking forward to it."

"Really, why?"

"Because that'll be that."

I think about this exchange a lot.

• Like 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 1989, the 15-year-old me loved Jerry Lee Lewis, Dennis Quaid, and Winona Ryder, so I loved this movie, too. The 15-year-old me also couldn't see that the movie's point-of-view, which positions Lewi

Started up Guillermo Del Toro's latest on HBOMAX: Nightmare Alley. Grim stuff. Will have to take a certain determination to get back into it.    Other recent viewings: Book of Boba Fett - en

May the fourth be with you! Happy Star Wars Day!

Posted Images

In 1989, the 15-year-old me loved Jerry Lee Lewis, Dennis Quaid, and Winona Ryder, so I loved this movie, too. The 15-year-old me also couldn't see that the movie's point-of-view, which positions Lewis as a defiant champion of non-conformity, is not just relentlessly cartoonish but also irredeemably uncritical about its main dramatic turn. The movie's bullshit perspective on Lewis' marriage to the 13-year-old Myra Gale Brown seems to think the only great wrong was how this unfettered romantic was so misunderstood by the puritanical public, which tragically damaged the marriage but also unfairly damaged Lewis' career. Presenting Lewis as a victim akin to a Civil Rights martyr--when he drives through town with former fans literally wagging their finger at him, you practically expect "We Shall Overcome" to swell on the soundtrack--is one of the most batshit notions in any biopic ever. Tellingly, the movie ends by celebrating Myra's delivery of their child and then presenting Lewis' triumphant, fiery return to the stage without ever explaining how he survived the scandal or acknowledging that his marriage to Myra would be over by 1970.

That aside, the music slays.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The BBC have this and am getting into it - love the detail and the slow burn.

It's been renewed for another season. Hopefully they will keep the quality up. I liked it so much I ordered the book upon which the series is based on.

I found Neptune Frost rather insufferable, but I’m still forever grateful for these words of wisdom: “One who swallows a whole coconut trusts his anus.”

• Haha 2

I knew that this was coming at some point and I guess it just got announced on Thursday that the second half of Season 5’s episodes would drop on Friday.

Jeff was hilarious in the episode and hats off to Nikki Glaser for being a genuine fan. Super cool singalongs and chemistry amongst the 4 (at one point 5) talented folks in the car. Felt like natural conversations interspersed with some singing and a fun ending.

A bit too short though, but I’m still shocked that Jeff was driving the car. I seem to remember James Corden being the one that always drove around the celebs, when he’d do the bit on his show. There’s something badass about Jeff driving and singing and cracking jokes. John & Glenn bring some Laurel & Hardy energy. [no mention of the missing members. Kinda like when they switched Darrins on Bewitched and never said anything about it. Horrible analogy.]

Certainly something that should get new eyes & ears on Wilco for many reasons. Enjoy it! 👍

7121AEBF-32E6-458F-89E9-255E0C2DE729.jpeg

• Thanks 1
On 12/7/2022 at 12:42 PM, chuckrh said:

It's been renewed for another season. Hopefully they will keep the quality up. I liked it so much I ordered the book upon which the series is based on.

Interesting, I thought it would be a one-time narrative of 'the story'. Fingers crossed too. Did you ever see The Terror (series 1 - the one in the Arctic). Enjoyed that for the same kind of slow atmospheric development - though the actual 'terror' bits were the weakest part for me. 

15 hours ago, chuckrh said:

p22947865_b_h8_aa.jpg?w=960&h=540

Absolutely loved this.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Interesting, I thought it would be a one-time narrative of 'the story'. Fingers crossed too. Did you ever see The Terror (series 1 - the one in the Arctic). Enjoyed that for the same kind of slow atmospheric development - though the actual 'terror' bits were the weakest part for me. 

Absolutely loved this.

I liked the Terror also but I thought the book was better.

I'm normally willing to go to great lengths to suspend disbelief, but the ending of Emily the Criminal zooms way past my breaking point. It's a crock. Which is a shame, since the rest of this low-key thriller, carried exclusively by Aubrey Plaza's terrific performance, bitterly conveys something true about the traps of modern-day American capitalism.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Beltmann said:

I'm normally willing to go to great lengths to suspend disbelief, but the ending of Emily the Criminal zooms way past my breaking point. It's a crock. Which is a shame, since the rest of this low-key thriller, carried exclusively by Aubrey Plaza's terrific performance, bitterly conveys something true about the traps of modern-day American capitalism.

I've got this one in my queu. I like Aubrey Plaza.

Last week I showed Kelly Reichardt's "Wendy and Lucy," which is heavily influenced by Italian Neorealism, to my film students. High schoolers always find this minimalist movie challenging, for obvious reasons. I'll never forget the day, though, when one of my quietest students lingered after class to tearfully thank me for showing it. She told me that "Wendy and Lucy" was the best movie she ever saw, because it was the first movie that truly understood her life and her family's challenges. She didn't know such movies even existed, and she was grateful to be seen in a way that once seemed unthinkable. Some teens have lived experiences that lead them to, say, John Hughes. They can use him. Other teens have lived experiences that lead them to Kelly Reichardt. They need her.

Perhaps you must have personal experience (like my student, I was raised in abject poverty) to grasp how this masterpiece acutely conveys the fears and vulnerabilities associated with feeling that you are perpetually near a precipice.

6 hours ago, Beltmann said:

Last week I showed Kelly Reichardt's "Wendy and Lucy," which is heavily influenced by Italian Neorealism, to my film students. High schoolers always find this minimalist movie challenging, for obvious reasons. I'll never forget the day, though, when one of my quietest students lingered after class to tearfully thank me for showing it. She told me that "Wendy and Lucy" was the best movie she ever saw, because it was the first movie that truly understood her life and her family's challenges. She didn't know such movies even existed, and she was grateful to be seen in a way that once seemed unthinkable. Some teens have lived experiences that lead them to, say, John Hughes. They can use him. Other teens have lived experiences that lead them to Kelly Reichardt. They need her.

Perhaps you must have personal experience (like my student, I was raised in abject poverty) to grasp how this masterpiece acutely conveys the fears and vulnerabilities associated with feeling that you are perpetually near a precipice.

This looks amazing.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, Beltmann said:

This is obviously late, but I agree that it is a masterpiece, about it’s power

and how it and similar films are needed. A superb example of how the great art allows us to see and understand ourselves and the lives of others.

As a recently retired high school teacher, I truly appreciated the anecdote about your student. It made me think of many students over my 36 years that benefited from exposure to the film, music or book that helped them through and/or let them know they were not alone. And of some that likely would have if they had been provided the opportunity.

That is what I miss the most. Not ‘’teaching’’. Who really gives a damn about the state standards? But the interactions with students, the getting to know them, the banter, the feeling when you know they now understand a concept they had difficulty grasping and providing opportunities for them to better understand their lives and those of others. But I digress. John Wesley Harding will inform me that this is not an Arby’s.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Doug C said:

This is obviously late, but I agree that it is a masterpiece, about it’s power

and how it and similar films are needed. A superb example of how the great art allows us to see and understand ourselves and the lives of others.

As a recently retired high school teacher, I truly appreciated the anecdote about your student. It made me think of many students over my 36 years that benefited from exposure to the film, music or book that helped them through and/or let them know they were not alone. And of some that likely would have if they had been provided the opportunity.

That is what I miss the most. Not ‘’teaching’’. Who really gives a damn about the state standards? But the interactions with students, the getting to know them, the banter, the feeling when you know they now understand a concept they had difficulty grasping and providing opportunities for them to better understand their lives and those of others. But I digress. John Wesley Harding will inform me that this is not an Arby’s.

This is beautiful. You were born to be a teacher. :wub

• Like 2
On 12/21/2022 at 1:40 AM, chuckrh said:

GUEST_2745be46-5f9d-4d75-a7d1-c6bc3fc165

Despite Beltmann, who I’m sure is correct as he’s never steered me wrong on a film yet, finding fault with the ending, I too love Aubrey Plaza and am planning on watching. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Doug C said:

Despite Beltmann, who I’m sure is correct as he’s never steered me wrong on a film yet, finding fault with the ending, I too love Aubrey Plaza and am planning on watching. 

Ya, ending not the best. Film better than most of the crap out there. Aubrey is really good in it.