Wilco — 16 June 2022, Frankfurt, Germany (Alte Oper)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the refined halls of Frankfurt's Alte Oper, the city's one-time primary opera hall, so just stealing this setlist from good ol' Wilcoworld for posterity's sake. Nice to see that the band is continuing to tweak the setlist a bit and presumably tailor it to the venue (as it usually does). Also presumably, Aoifa Nessa Frances provided support again as she did in Cologne. Was anyone there who can add any details about the show?

Anyway, here was the setlist for Frankfurt, as reported on Wilcoworld (as usual, the site doesn't indicate where the encore break was, so I'm taking that liberty and making the assumption based on earlier shows I've edited the setlist below based on the printed setlist that was posted, and also assuming that the Via Chicago>Many Worlds (coda) is the same version they have been playing at these European shows thus far):

A Shot In The Arm

Story To Tell

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

Hints

Handshake Drugs

Hummingbird

If I Ever Was A Child

All Across The World

Love Is Everywhere (Beware)

War On War

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Tired Of Taking It Out On You

Impossible Germany

Mystery Binds

At Least That's What You Said

Via Chicago>

Many Worlds (coda only)

-------------------------------------------------

Jesus, etc.

A Lifetime To Find

Falling Apart (Right Now)

California Stars

The Late Greats

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chisoxjtrain said:

Looks like they closed the main set with Many Worlds.

288631820_10227344684616942_2009222341807747399_n.jpg

Ah, of course they did. Thanks for the setlist pic. I’ll make the edit above when I get a chance.

That's a pretty big 'tweak' to the set we saw in Cologne two nights earlier. Pretty rock n roll for a seated boiled sweet eating German audience.  (The gentleman behind me at E-Werk was eating Haribos through the show)

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Even though I'm late to the party (and not sure if anyone reads these old threads anyway), I wanted to add a few details because I was there. First thing, big surprise and kind of a downer when walking in: the place wasn't even half full. I have no idea why, floor was maybe half filled, balcony only the first five or ten rows. Many people still being very careful because of Covid I guess.

Different set from Cologne (where I was too), right, and much to my liking. But if you acknowledge people seeing multiple shows, why not replace more songs instead of just switching them around in the set? Perfect opener with Shot, but Story to Tell in the second slot drained all the energy from the place in seconds. Didn't work at all. And moving the usual start with Mother/CC a few slots into the set also seemed strange. Nels' Impossible solo a bit meandering that night, but brought the house down anyway of course. Hummingbird always makes me happy, Mystery Binds came as a surprise out of nowhere and maybe was a secret highlight for me.

Set ended very abruptly after 90 minutes, encores were about 20 minutes. Even less banter than usual. Even though this sounds like a lot of whining, we left very happy, if not as elated as two days before. It's always fascinating to be able to watch what's going down on stage from so close (fourth row or so). Cologne was longer (around two hours), way more energetic and loose - and it was a standing (and dancing!) audience. I never understood why they keep playing these seated places, I've seen them seated in Hamburg and Berlin before and always left longing for the next standing show. For me, Wilco is music you want to move to, even though it's lyrics and details, yes, but the groove also plays a huge part.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me. Already looking forward to the next time.

Cheers

Romas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, romasb said:

Even though I'm late to the party (and not sure if anyone reads these old threads anyway), I wanted to add a few details because I was there. First thing, big surprise and kind of a downer when walking in: the place wasn't even half full. I have no idea why, floor was maybe half filled, balcony only the first five or ten rows. Many people still being very careful because of Covid I guess.

Thanks for sharing your experience of being there. Too bad it wasn't more of an energetic show, but that does makes me even more glad I decided to skip Frankfurt. I generally don't mind the mix of standing vs. sitting shows — though obviously the former are always better IMHO — but I just wish they would change the setlist more to fit the room. Like, if they're going to play these very formal places, then play some more of the songs you wouldn't ordinarily play in an outdoor, festival-type setting, you know? Just a thought...