Sign in to follow this  
gogo

Bit Torrent 101

Edit: I'm pulling this information up to the top of this thread (it's posted much further down), because it's a good beginner's guide to BT. If you've never used BT before, start here:

Thanks to thisyearsgirl for posting this link to what looks like a very beginner-friendly BT tutorial:

methodshop.com BitTorrent Tutorial: Bit-by-Bit: The BitTorrent Storm

And here's something I posted in another thread, it's my own mini-BT tutorial, so you can try it from here, too:

1. download a BitTorrent program (see below for links to BT programs);
  2. right-click and save the *.torrent file for the show that you want to download (additional suggestion: create a BT folder on your desktop, so you'll be able to find these files easily if you ever want to re-open them);
  3. open the *.torrent file with the BT program that you've already downloaded (again, you'll probably want to save the download in a folder that you'll easily be able to locate later);
  4. let the file run until you've got the entire show downloaded; then keep it running until you've uploaded as much as you've downloaded (ratio = 1.0);
  5. when you've got the whole show, figure out how you want to listen to it (through your computer, on a CD, etc.); depending on what you want to do with it, you may or may not need to convert the files (check back to the BT 101 thread for info on how to do that).

(Any suggestions on changes/additions to this are welcome!)

And now, back to where this post/thread originally began:

Rob had compiled a lot of really useful information in a thread on the old board, for people to get started downloading shows using bit torrent. I'm compiling some of those posts into this thread; hopefully Rob will get a chance to look these over and correct me if I've misquoted him anywhere, or if anything has become outdated in the meantime, or if I've left out anything really important. All quotes below are Rob's, unless otherwise noted:

9/21/03

Here's lots of links for info on how to get BT running on your computer.

BT FAQ

BT FAQ on Sharing The Groove

The latest/greatest (windows) client program can be found here:

Shadow's Experimental BT Client

More links, other clients, more FAQs, etc.

BitTorrent Wiki on etree

Official home page

Bit Torrent home

After you finish downloading, please try to keep your BT window open as long as possible. Once you finish, you become a seed, and you are sharing the file with others. The most recent windows version of the client displays a share rating (the ratio of what you have uploaded to what you have downloaded) You should share at least what you received (share ratio > 1)

9/23/03

For windows, I think the most widely used client is at:

http://bt.degreez.net/

9/26/03

Looks like we have another community tracker available to seed Bit Torrents.

http://bt.etree.org

10/1/03

There has been an update to the OFFICIAL BitTorrent client, and everyone should upgrade.

The Official client is at version 3.3 and can be found HERE

Shadow's client has also been updated with the 3.3 changes and can be found HERE

10/2/03

10/2/03

etree has a cool new tracker, you can find taper-friendly bands there.

10/7/03

FLAC:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

FLAC frontend:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/flac.htm

FLAC Installer (FLAC & frontend):

http://mikewren.com/flac/ (DOESN'T seem to be working)

10/7/03

I mainly use http://db.etree.org to find shows, and traders that have them. There are also other trader databases out there, http://www.tapetrader.com is one that comes to mind.

10/18/03

You can tell who is downloading from you if you are using SHADOW's experimental BT client, just click on the "Advanced" link in the client window.

The tracker at etree also has tons of information. It keeps track of seeds, how long they have been online, what everyone's share ratio is, etc. Check it out

1/7/04

Here's links to the bt.etree.org site for the current Wilco and Tweedy offerings.

Wilco BitTorrents at bt.etree.org

Jeff Tweedy BitTorrents at bt.etree.org

And if you use Nero to burn cds, you can burn flac, shn, and APE files without converting first using one of the plugins available at: http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/.

If you download a lot of shows, there are better BT clients than the "official" one or Shadow's (aka BitTornado) that give you more information, more capabilities, have a GUI, etc.: ABC, Bit Conjurer, TorrentStorm, and Azureus are a few to search for. Try out a few; different people and computers like different ones.

Guest nomorecrackpipes

I'd like to suggest Foobar to play your FLAC and SHN files on your computer ... I find it much easier to manage and better than WinAmp (mainly because it doesn't come with the gaps between tracks).

It's already configured to play FLACs, and there is an easy-ass plugin for SHNs.

Kickass!

Some people have been posting questions about using BT on macs. I'm not a mac user (nor am I a BT expert!), but I did find the following links posted in various threads. Please add any other helpful info/links you have to offer.

I have a Mac and bit torrent works for me.

Download this program:

Bit Torrent

you'll also need a SHN/FLAC converter program, I use this:

xAct

It's all free and it works.

Hopefully this helps

I just did some quick searching, and came up with the following links.  It may not be easy, but it seems like it is possible to use BT on OS 9.

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/11.html

http://freaky.staticusers.net/ugboard/viewtopic.php?t=8351

maudie, rob, et. al,

thanks for the skinny! now i've got something to read while sipping my joe in the morning. ~O)

i am downloading my first bit torrent!!

WOO-HOO! not sure what to do with it once it's downloaded. still reading...

down loaded the xACT, but don't have enough space to install it on me hard drive :ouch

will continue to read as i down load!

ok since there are no stupid questions .... once i've DLd torrents...how do I get them to play?? i've been trying to sort thru the info/faqs, but with luddite leanings ... a simple pointer would help

If you want to burn BTs to CD as audio files, you'll first need to convert them from SHN or FLAC files to WAV files. Search through this thread for those terms, and you'll find links to programs which do that. Then you need a program (Nero, or iTunes, or Roxio, or some such thing) which will burn those files as audio CDs. That's the most basic way of listening to them. If you feel like doing anything trickier than that, there are lots of other ways to listen to them (through WinAmp without decoding, etc.), but I suggest the tried-and-true "burning WAV files to CD" method for the beginners (OK, to be totally honest, I don't do anything much fancier than that myself, so we'll just have to hope that someone more clever than me jumps in with more help than that!).

I'm not the most expert on this stuff, but feel free to PM me if you get into any sticky spots, and I'll see what I can do to walk you through the basics.

just wondering about the sharing ratio's on easytree...can you bring the upload value up by keeping your torrents open after completing the download, and letting the upload amount bypass the size of the file? i've been doing this, but my ratio hasn't been changing.

Yep, that's exactly how you do it. Depending on what BT client you're using, it should give you an upload/download ratio somewhere. Don't close your window until your ratio is at least 1. On easytree, you can play with that a little bit, if you're one of the first to finish a download, you can leave that open to seed and get the ratio up above 1; then if you're ever one of the last downloaders on a BT (which might mean that you'll never share back as much as you've downloaded on that particular one), you'll have a bit of a cushion in your overall easytree share ratio.

Also, you can always re-open windows. Check back on some BTs that you've finished and still have on your hard drive, and sometimes you'll see that there are people out there who've been left hanging with no seeders. You'll be doing a good deed by helping them finish the download :yes , and you'll bump up your sharing ratio a little bit.

Rob just referred someone to http://bt.etree.org/ for firewall info, so I'm going to post it here too, just for reference:

Firewalling

The BitTorrent protocol can work behind firewalls' date=' but unless your BitTorrent ports 6881-6889 are open, noone can connect to you. As a result, your downloads will probably be [b']much[/b] slower. Do yourself a favor and open or forward ports 6881-6889 on your local firewall or router. Trust us, you'll appreciate the increased download speed! See this page for some more detailed discussion.

If you are currently downloading one of the torrents from this site, you can verify if you are firewalled or not by clicking on the number in the Leeches column for the torrent in the table below. Or if you go to the Details page for the torrent (by clicking in the Show column), you can view the peer list by clicking on the Peers [see full list] link. Look for your IP address, which will appear in red and which will show all four numbers in the address. If the port number appears in parentheses (e.g. 1.2.3.4:(6881)), then you are firewalled. If the port number appears without parens, you are not.

I don't know if this info is in here already, but just in case:

i downloaded all 825mb with that bittorrent thingy, but now i dont know what to do.  i am a Mac user and the FAQ didnt help much, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you need something that with will play flac files I use macamp lite X, but there are other programs that will work.

Guest Eamon
I don't know if this info is in here already, but just in case:

Why would my ABC message log tell me I have problems connecting to Tracker

Hey Eamon! One of my favorite cousins, and my favorite (OK, only!) nephew are named Eamon. Welcome to VC!

Anyhoo...

Here's a page with lots of general info on Bit Torrents: BT FAQ

And here's the section on what your error message means: "I'm getting an error message, what does it mean?"

Just click on those links, hopefully something there will help you get straightened out.

I always find it a pain in the ass to convert .flac files to .wav, then to .mp3, so I'm going to try this tonight. Taking one step out of that process sounds good to me!

dbPowerAmp does just about any format to any format (.flac to .mp3 included). I use it a lot for putting things on my mp3 player. The interface is pretty easy and it'll just prompt to you download the codec when you try and convert a file type for the first time.

If you are currently downloading one of the torrents from this site, you can verify if you are firewalled or not by clicking on the number in the Leeches column for the torrent in the table below. Or if you go to the Details page for the torrent (by clicking in the Show column), you can view the peer list by clicking on the Peers [see full list] link. Look for your IP address, which will appear in red and which will show all four numbers in the address. If the port number appears in parentheses (e.g. 1.2.3.4:(6881)), then you are firewalled. If the port number appears without parens, you are not.

:

I notice on the user list I can see my name but not my IP (and anyi ndication whether I am firewalled) Is the IP information not available?

I notice on the user list I can see my name but not my IP (and anyi ndication whether I am firewalled) Is the IP information not available?

The info about seeing your IP address was related to bt.etree.org, I think. On the VC tracker, you'll see your username, rather than the IP address, when you click on Peers [see full list]. Then, look for whether or not you're connectable. That's the equivalent information to the firewall information discussed in the earlier post.

The info about seeing your IP address was related to bt.etree.org, I think. On the VC tracker, you'll see your username, rather than the IP address, when you click on Peers [see full list]. Then, look for whether or not you're connectable. That's the equivalent information to the firewall information discussed in the earlier post.

Thanks gogo. I am connectable, but am still leech-tastic, and I'm not really sure why.

Hmm. Yeah, not sure how to help you there. I've never had a firewall problem, so I've never really learned much about how to get around them! Hope someone else can help you out.

Hmm. Yeah, not sure how to help you there. I've never had a firewall problem, so I've never really learned much about how to get around them! Hope someone else can help you out.

It seems to be getting better. Maybe because this is my first download so I dont have much to share? I'm going to let it ride and see if it continues to improve. Just don't want to be hated on/banned for a low share ratio :no

This was posted in another thread by m_thomp, who had trouble re-seeding with his BT client:

Ok, I finally managed to work out how to re-seed using Bit Lord. Hopefully, the following notes should help anyone with the same problem.

1. Highlight the torrent you want to re-seed.

2. Right mouse click on the torrent and select 'Properties'.

3. At the top of the dialogue box, underneath the name of the torrent, are two drop down menus. The first drop down menu, on the left, asks you what you want to do with your torrent, from the options select 'Seed'. To the right of this drop down box is another one which asks when you would like the activity to start, from the drop down menu selct 'Start Now'.

4. Click 'Ok' on everything until the dialogue box disappears.

5. With the torrent still highlighted, click on the 'Start' icon along the top bar of the screen.

6. This should activate the torrent to enable people to leech off you. If it does not then check the tracker Response comments in the details box. If there is an error, then find the original torrent again on these forums. Open it again and follow step 3 onwards, and this will definitely work.

I've managed to up my share ratio from the terrible 0.008 to the slightly more respectable 0.505. Still not brilliant, but I'm getting there.

Sign in to follow this