Sign in to follow this  
gogo

Bit Torrent 101

I use McAfee - and I just set the thing to "open" - until I am done. Also, I have turned off the Windows Firewall.

From another thread, a couple of links from the always-helpful Planetchad, on port forwarding/firewall issues:

The best site out there for configuring a firewall or a router is portforward.com/. If you are running Windows Firewall, you might want to switch to something a little more user-friendly. Lots of people have different opinions about what is best, but I run the free version of Zone Alarm and haven't had any problems with it. Also, once you allow a program to have access, you don't have to worry about reopening ports when Windows updates.

ok. I've downloaded my first dvd using BT. Now I have a folder full of .vob and other files.

I've read the FAQs, as requested by many posters, and I've yet to find a recommendation on the software or process I need to: (1) convert the .vob and other files to the type of files I can burn to a dvd; and (2) how to get all those files on to an actual dvd, so I can play it in my dvd player. Most of what I'm finding only deals with audio files and cds, not dvds.

I've read and searched sites until my head was aching. Could someone who's done this 100 times give me some pointers please? Many, many thanks for any helpful hints,

Neil

ok. I've downloaded my first dvd using BT. Now I have a folder full of .vob and other files.

I've read the FAQs, as requested by many posters, and I've yet to find a recommendation on the software or process I need to: (1) convert the .vob and other files to the type of files I can burn to a dvd; and (2) how to get all those files on to an actual dvd, so I can play it in my dvd player. Most of what I'm finding only deals with audio files and cds, not dvds.

I've read and searched sites until my head was aching. Could someone who's done this 100 times give me some pointers please? Many, many thanks for any helpful hints,

Neil

To burn a DVD, you just need to have DVD burning software; you don't have to do any conversions like with audio files. I use Nero to burn DVDs; I just select "burn DVD Video" and drag/drop the VIDEO_TS folder into it. It's really that simple. Whether it will play on your standalone DVD player depends on the player and what kind of discs it will accept.

If you have a DVD burner on your computer, it should have some burning software that works similarly.

Here's a thread with suggestions for keeping your share ratio respectable.

And an uploading question:

Hello all. I have just been promoted to uploader status and I am trying to upload a torrent that I got from etree, but when I try to post I get this message:

Upload failed!

invalid announce url! must be http://bt.viachicago.org:80/announce.php

I don't see anything regarding this in the FAQ, do I have to post an announcement too? Any help is appreciated.

You need to create a new .torrent file, using the same file set that you've downloaded, but specifying that you're uploading to the VC tracker. Check out MakeTorrent v2.0.

Hope that helps!

So I am downloading my first show using this and I'm not sure what I'm doing but I hope to figure it out. It seems to be going somewhere!

I use McAfee - and I just set the thing to "open" - until I am done. Also, I have turned off the Windows Firewall.

Analogman has learned some stuff since then -

EAC

How to set up EAC

Port Forwarding

Flac Frontend

Azureus FAQ

This is what I use for EAC-->File Name--> Naming Scheme(%N) -%A -%C - %T

I will glad to run through my Azureus set-up if anyone wants to copy it.

Sign in to follow this