You folks in bands:

Just curious.

Because when I was playing out (or trying to play out) more frequently, I always booked my own gigs and I found that the worst, most-aggravating part of being a gigging musician. Hated dealing with the talent buyers.

Those of you who do have a booking agent: how much do they take? Just a portion of your pay or do you pay them a flat fee? And, do they help promote the gig?

Also... do jut play locally or do you tour? How extensively?

Questions from someone who most-likely went about it all wrong.

Thanks.

We work with two booking agency's. I'd say 95% of our shows are booked through the agencies, and a few we get on our own. I'm not exactly sure how much they get, but I think it's 10%.

It's great to have them because they do all of the work, and we just show up and play.. Venue's will either contact them asking about us, or contact them asking for a certain style of music. They tell us when/where the show is, we play the show, we get paid, and then write them a check.

They don't do too much on the promotional side.. Usually the venue's handle that, or if it is a big show, we hire a promoter.

We play pretty much all over the South East, staying mostly in South Carolina but sometimes we venture out into North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Every year we try to take at least 1 or two road trips for a small tour. Last year we did a mini tour that ended in Mississippi, and another that ended in upstate NY. This is sort of a slow time of year for us because of the holidays, but it will kick back up in January. That's when we usually play at least one show every weekend, sometimes two or three.

Hope this answers your questions. :)