The Birmingham Sound: The Soul Of Neil Hemphill

Just picked up Vol. 2 yesterday. (I've had Vol. 1 for a while now.)

Both are damn, damn good!

Here's the AllMusic (4.5-star) review for Vol. 1:

In the mid-'60s, Neal Hemphill opened the Birmingham Sound Studio in the basement of his plumbing store, determined to provide a recording opportunity to the many talented artists of his native Alabama city. Although Hemphill continued offering his studio services right up until his death in 1985, his contributions to R&B, soul, funk (and more) remained little known outside the region. This stunning compilation now gives this dedicated-to-the-music man his due, bringing together 23 numbers recorded by Hemphill over the years, along with a carefully researched booklet that tells Hemphill's, his artists' and musicians' stories. Thirteen artists are featured within, ranging from stars such as Frederick Knight, to total unknowns like Little Lois Barber. She kicks off this set with strength and style, and it says something about the caliber of talent that passed through the doors, that even those who were there at the time barely remember her. Pat Peterman, the only other woman spotlit here, had a slicker style, and she absolutely shines on "You Gonna Reap It." It was Frederick Knight, however, who gave Hemphill his sole charting single, although two rarer gems feature here. He wasn't the only star to record at the studio, Roscoe Robinson, too had hits to his name, and both his contributions to this set are exceptional, with "Two Heart Accident" a death-song classic. Amazingly, David Sea didn't break into the R&B charts until 1991, and it's hard to understand why neither of the songs here made an impact. Chuck Strong was even less feted, but his "I Thought It Over" was surely worthy of success. However, this set is awash in shoulda-been hits. Check out Ralph "Soul" Johnson's potent "Set Me Free" -- how could this number not have crossed over into the pop chart? While "Take Me Back" deserved to be an R&B Top Ten smash. OK, maybe Eddie Steel's "Groove Me Mama" was a little too derivative of Motown, and Bill "Butterbean" Flippo a bit too country for some tastes, but with the likes of famed songwriter Sam Dees in Hemphill's stable (here performing someone else's song!), the caliber of the numbers just never flagged. And be it the "Funky Soul" of Cold Grits, Broadneck's "Psychedelic Excursion," or the pop-flecked "High Time" R&B to be had with the Blue Notes, Hemphill loved soul and R&B in all their permutations, encouraging experimentation, new sounds, and new artists. Love of music drove him, and this compilation is a wonderful testament to that enduring devotion.

I'll send a song or two sampler if you're interested. But, this is a labor of love thing that a local (Chicago) guy pretty much funded out of his own pocket. So I'm loathe to send any more than one or two songs.

Anyway, just wanted to bring it to your attention. It's Deep, deep soul well worth checking out by any serious soul/R&B fans. (Both vols.)

But, this is a labor of love thing that a local (Chicago) guy pretty much funded out of his own pocket. So I'm loathe to send any more than one or two songs.
John Ciba...nice guy and class act. These comps can be bought through Laurie's Planet of Sound where John used to be a clerk. I would second that they are great.

Every once in awhile John does a showcase for these guys at the Hideout or some place like that. Most are much older now.

LouieB

John Ciba...nice guy and class act. These comps can be bought through Laurie's Planet of Sound where John used to be a clerk. I would second that they are great.

Every once in awhile John does a showcase for these guys at the Hideout or some place like that. Most are much older now.

LouieB

That's where I picked it up -- where I picked up both volumes.

And, I gotta look out for those showcases.

• 1 year later...

Just a bump for these comps.

I've been listening to them a lot recently, and I am still digging the hell out of them – with a big shovel!

Check 'em out!

Vol. 2 has streaming samples at its AMAZON PAGE:

51CH6OHBNNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg