Does anyone have any idea as to what type of hamonica jeff tweedy uses? Also Dylan, and Neil Young.

I'm assuming Hohners, but are they Marine bands, blues harps? I have a marine band, but it seems like its missing something (harmonica talent??). Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Does anyone have any idea as to what type of hamonica jeff tweedy uses? Also Dylan, and Neil Young.

I'm assuming Hohners, but are they Marine bands, blues harps? I have a marine band, but it seems like its missing something (harmonica talent??). Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

You know, unlike other instruments, I've never really been able to tell the difference between most medium-priced harmonicas and more expensive ones. I mean, the cheapo ones sound inferior, but the difference between the rest is so subtle, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. Maybe it's just me, though. I'm only a so-so harp player.

I'm not sure if this'll help, but a couple of years ago while wasting time on Ebay, I saw a listing for a concert-used Dylan harmonica. It was a Marine Band. To me though, the Marine Band is much to bright sounding. It actually used to be played in the U.S. Marine Band so it had to cut through the loud horns. I'm sure Tweedy uses either a Hohner Special 20 or Lee Oskar harps. I personally like the Lee Oskar. The reeds hold their tone and intonation longer than anything else I've used - bear in mind, I'm not a harp player per se. I just use it for accompaniment and to jam along with other bands at gigs. However, a good friend of mine is a formidable player and blues harmonica instructor. He used Hohners - mainly Blues Harps, cross harps and Special 20s for years and years and when he played a Lee Oskar, he switched and never looked back.