Any advice re Hagstroms and/or Epiphone Sheraton?

I'm trying to start playing guitar again--and I am wasting way too much time thinking about a new guitar. I'm hoping that some of you might have some general advice about these two different options:

1. Hagstroms: Frankly, I had never heard of these until a few weeks ago and was surprised to see that it was a Hagstrom Viking that Elvis played during his 1968 comeback special. Any opinions about the Viking--and/or the F200/F300? Seems to me that, rather than an F200 or F300, I should just bite the bullet and get a Gibson SG. . .

2. Epiphone Sheraton: I own an Epiphone Dot. Was in a pawn shop this week and found an Epiphone Sheraton for ~$425. I don't know if it is a Sheraton or a Sheraton II. Black. I am in the process of researching what I should look for when I go in to look at it again (e.g., year manufactured, serial number, etc.). Seems to me that ~$425 would be a decent price for a Sheraton II--depending on condition. Any caveats or suggestions?

Thanks for any advice--and thanks for your patience. I've forgotten what little I used to know about guitars, and I don't want to make a mistake I cannot afford. . .

(By the way, found a Ric 330/12 in another pawn shop. Never seen a Ric in a pawn shop before. Someone was desperate for $. But I don't need a twelve-string.)

Hagstrom's are going to be of varying quality.. but there are definatley some cool ones out there.

Sheraton's are good if there the USA's. I've seen some of the reissue's go on ebay for a very reasonable price. The koreans have cheap electronics and not very good tonewoods. It's a you pay for what you get scenario...

Rickenbacker's are such a bargain! Where else can you get a quality amreican made guitar for such a decent price. They have virtually been making the same guitar for 40 plus years..

The big hint... Vintage guild electrics ( some of the solidbody's can be had for a song) rosewood board, nice vintage vibe, not big vintage bucks!!!!

Hagstrom's are going to be of varying quality.. but there are definatley some cool ones out there.

Sheraton's are good if there the USA's. I've seen some of the reissue's go on ebay for a very reasonable price. The koreans have cheap electronics and not very good tonewoods. It's a you pay for what you get scenario...

Rickenbacker's are such a bargain! Where else can you get a quality amreican made guitar for such a decent price. They have virtually been making the same guitar for 40 plus years..

The big hint... Vintage guild electrics ( some of the solidbody's can be had for a song) rosewood board, nice vintage vibe, not big vintage bucks!!!!

Thanks very much for the tips. I will broaden my search to include the Guilds. Half the fun is in the hunt, I guess.

here's an example....Vintage Guild

I have a Sheraton II. $425 seems an okay price if it's in good shape. I bought mine used for somewhere around that price, and there was not a scratch to be found on the guitar and the case was in excellent shape.

I love mine. It plays great, the action is great, stays in tune. Couldn't ask for more. However, the stock pickups are shit. I never played the guitar live until I put some Jason Lollar Imperial Humbuckers in it about 6 months ago; I've hardly been able to play anything else since. It just sounds fabulous; the Lollars really capture the essence of vintage PAFs and the semi-hollowbody configuration adds some tonal complexities not inherent to a Les Paul. I took it out on the road with me earlier this year and it was just a monster live. My only complaint is that the design makes reaching past the 15th fret or so difficult. The Lollars aren't potted (like vintage PAFs were), and combined with a semi-hollowbody one might suspect it to be vunerable to feeback problems. Having road-tested the guitar, I'm happy to report that I never once ran into feeback problems, and that includes several shows in small clubs where the p.a. was less than ideal and I didn't mic my amp.

Edited by BolivarBaLues
I have a Sheraton II. $425 seems an okay price if it's in good shape. I bought mine used for somewhere around that price, and there was not a scratch to be found on the guitar and the case was in excellent shape.

I love mine. It plays great, the action is great, stays in tune. Couldn't ask for more. However, the stock pickups are shit. I never played the guitar live until I put some Jason Lollar Imperial Humbuckers in it about 6 months ago; I've hardly been able to play anything else since. It just sounds fabulous; the Lollars really capture the essence of vintage PAFs and the semi-hollowbody configuration adds some tonal complexities not inherent to a Les Paul. I took it out on the road with me earlier this year and it was just a monster live. My only complaint is that the design makes reaching past the 15th fret or so difficult. The Lollars aren't potted (like vintage PAFs were), and combined with a semi-hollowbody one might suspect it to be vunerable to feeback problems. Having road-tested the guitar, I'm happy to report that I never once ran into feeback problems, and that includes several shows in small clubs where the p.a. was less than ideal and I didn't mic my amp.

Good to have a positive review from someone who owns a Sheraton II. Thanks a lot.

Trying to learn more about the Guild Polara. And I came across a decent Telecaster in a pawn shop yesterday. . .

Good to have a positive review from someone who owns a Sheraton II. Thanks a lot.

Trying to learn more about the Guild Polara. And I came across a decent Telecaster in a pawn shop yesterday. . .

get ready to salivate.. if money were no option i'd have this sheraton.. i've played a couple and they make me weeeeeepppppp....cry cry cry

get ready to salivate.. if money were no option i'd have this sheraton.. i've played a couple and they make me weeeeeepppppp....cry cry cry

Now, that's just cruel. I'm salivating and crying at the same time. I will add this Sheraton to the list of things I will buy when I win the lottery. . .