Tribe Called Quest Reunion

I know we touched on the Tribe reunion in another thread, but it wasn't 'confirmed' at that time and I couldn't find it to update...

2K Sports, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., today announced the reuniting of legendary hip hop act, A Tribe Called Quest, to headline the first leg of the 2nd Annual 2K Sports Bounce Tour in 15 cities. This marks A Tribe Called Quest's first tour in over half a decade. In addition to headlining the tour, an exclusive track from the group will appear on the upcoming 'Dan The Automator Presents 2K7' soundtrack with Phife Dawg appearing as a playable character. Joining A Tribe Called Quest on this historic national tour is Rhymefest.

Comprised of Phife Dawg, Q-Tip, and Ali Shaheed Muhammad, A Tribe Called Quest is known as one of the most intelligent and artistic rap groups of the '90s with four solid albums and a string of hip-hop classics prior to their 1998 break-up. This heavily anticipated reunion marks one of the top hip-hop happenings of the year.

"I'm excited for me and my group to be a part of the 2K Sports Bounce Tour," said Phife from A Tribe Called Quest. "It's a win-win situation for Tribe because we get to be a part of such a dope game, and we get to reach out and touch our fans in these 15 cities. I couldn't ask for a better opportunity. Also, I'm excited because everyone knows I am a sports nut, so being down with the game and also being a character in the game is crazy to me."

The 2nd Annual 2K Bounce Tour is the latest addition to 2K Sports' series of annual live events that bridge hip-hop, sports and video game culture by featuring renowned music artists, sports gaming kiosks, projection vignettes and celebrity and professional athlete appearances. The tour will take place in more than a dozen top markets throughout the month of September, with details posted at http://2ksports.com/go/bounce/.

Tour Dates (first leg):

Sept 1 - Detroit MI Sept 20 - Baltimore MD

Sept 8 - Las Vegas NV Sept 22 - Washington DC

Sept 9 - Berkeley CA Sept 23 - Atlanta GA

Sept 10 - Los Angeles CA Sept 24 - Lake Buena Vista FL

Sept 13 - Denver CO Sept 28 - Atlantic City NJ

Sept 15 - Chicago IL Sept 29 - Worcester MA

Sept 16 - Milwaukee WI Oct 1 - Sayreville NJ

Sept 17 - Toronto ON Oct 5 - TBA, NY

"After The Roots headlined last year's Bounce Tour, we knew we had to raise the bar even further," said Tim Rosa, director of brand and lifestyle marketing for 2K Sports. "We jumped on the opportunity to reunite the legendary A Tribe Called Quest, whose positive vibe and innovative style meshed perfectly with the 2K Sports brand."

In addition to touring to support 2K Sports' upcoming basketball game, A Tribe Called Quest will have an exclusive new Dan the Automator remix of the classic "Lyrics to Go" on the 'Dan the Automator Presents 2K7' soundtrack. Phife Dawg also appears as a playable character in the game's Street mode alongside a host of other rap stars. By putting A Tribe Called Quest on the road, on the soundtrack and in the game, 2K Sports continues to have the deepest music integration campaign on the market.

For more information about the 2nd Annual 2K Sports Bounce Tour, log onto http://2ksports.com/go/bounce/

Also, while i'd normally never get excited about a freaking video game soundtrack, w/ DTA behind the controls and a stellar bunch of artists on the tracklist, it sounds really interesting...

Dan The Automator Puts Together Soundtrack For 'NBA 2K7'

Thursday - August 3, 2006

2K Sports, the company responsible for some of the most popular sports games on the market, has announced the release of the soundtrack for "NBA 2K7," which is an exclusive collection of tracks put together by producer Dan The Automator.

The producer created beats for the soundtrack, which were tailor made for the likes of Fabolous, Mos Def, Ghostface, E-40, Slim Thug and even a remix of "Lyrics to Go," the classic hit by A Tribe Called Quest.

"It's cool to work on 'NBA 2K7' with 2K Sports. They have consistently made the best hoops videogame and produced by far the most diverse and representative video game soundtracks," said Dan the Automator. "Basketball has universal popularity in every city in America. For 2K7, I wanted to represent that universal appeal by bringing together artists from all the various regions in America. 2K7...bringn' the real hip-hop."

Equally excited about the collabo is 2K Sports, who not only admire Dan's production skills, but also his "solid gaming skills."

"We're fired up to work with Dan the Automator to create original beats and production for the NBA 2K7 soundtrack," said Tim Rosa, director of brand and lifestyle marketing for 2K Sports. "Dan's noted for his production skills, but he is also a huge sports fan with solid gaming skills. He gets it and brings it like few others."

One of the most prolific producers and remixers in the music industry, Dan the Automator achieved critical success in 1996 with Dr. Octagon, a classic collaboration with the Kool Keith. In 1999, Dan partnered up with heavyweight producer Prince Paul, releasing Handsome Boy Modeling School's Who's Your Girl? and in 2004 he released Handsome Boy Modeling School's White People.

The Automator has also worked with Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (on Deltron 3030), and in 2001, he attained international success with the multi-platinum debut Gorillaz album on Virgin Records.

The "NBA 2K7" soundtrack, titled Dan the Automator Presents: 2K7 is slated for release September 19 on Decon.

The final tracklist is as follows:

Dan The Automator - "Intro"

Slim Thug - "I Love This Game"

Rhymefest - "Bang The Ball"

Hieroglyphics - "Don't Hate The Player"

Fabolous - "Ball Til You Fall"

Aceyalone & Rakaa of Dilated Peoples