Someone who actually understands port-forwarding

I've read and read and read about port-forwarding, I've found my DSL box and BT client and read the instructions on portforward. But I've never had any trouble uploading or downloading torrents, and I'm wondering--before I (computer illiterate) delve into changing all these settings, etc. and potentially hijacking my own computer--is it necessary?

Thanks for any help,

Neil

This is what I used to figure out how to do it....

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

goodluck

My big problem was setting up the static IP address .... this helped

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

thanks, but my question is more directed at whether this is even necessary. I haven't had any problems with torrents under my current configuration.

It's only necessary if you want to maximize your uploading capabilities, and thus your ratio. If your current setup works for you then I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing is...you didn't mention a router. If you are just using a DSL modem and no router/firewall, then it's likely that you don't need port forwarding at all.

It's only necessary if you want to maximize your uploading capabilities, and thus your ratio. If your current setup works for you then I wouldn't worry about it.

The other thing is...you didn't mention a router. If you are just using a DSL modem and no router/firewall, then it's likely that you don't need port forwarding at all.

thanks!