Austin American-Statesman Review: 1-23-07 Show

Forgiven transgressions

Wilco front man Jeff Tweedy negotiates with Austin audience

By Michael Hoinski

SPECIAL TO THE AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jeff Tweedy can do no wrong. Despite berating chatty concertgoers (see the documentary "Sunken Treasure") and slugging an overzealous fan who jumped onstage for what seemed an innocent hug (see YouTube), the Wilco frontman still sold out Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Hogg Auditorium.

Didactic, hostile, off-putting Tweedy? Or goofy, lovable, revered Tweedy? That was the question opening night. The answer? A lot of both.

"I promise not to talk too much," said the perpetually scruffy-faced troubadour, after opening with a trio of songs including "Be Patient With Me," from Wilco's forthcoming "Sky Blue Sky" (out May 15).

Applause, as in encouragement.

"Oh, really?" Tweedy reacted. Curious, he set down one of six acoustic guitars and approached the mike. "No, no . . .," he ultimately conceded, refusing the bait.

Then an audience member yelled, "Give it!"

Tweedy looked perplexed. "Oh . . . I roll like that. But can you give it back?"

More applause.

And thus began an awkward night of banter between a partially obnoxious crowd and a wise guy from the Windy City who was just trying to make a point in between classics.

But first he eased into "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," a song that typifies Wilco for the tone it sets on their breakthrough album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and for its showcasing of Tweedy's skill at taking what can only be Mad Libs and turning them into verse, claiming as he does to be "an American aquarium drinker," who "assassin(s) down the avenue."

Eventually a threat of a tantrum materialized. It occurred during "The Ruling Class," another cleverly phrased, tongue-twister of a song, by Tweedy's side band Loose Fur. He was serving it up all nice and pretty