Behold the power of True Love

AMY, JOEY REACH OUT AND TOUCH

By DAVID K. LI and KIERAN CROWLEY

May 5, 2007 -- Gun-crazy Amy Fisher and Joey Buttafuoco, last year and (inset photos) more than a decade ago, when Fisher was off to prison and Joey was still with wife Mary Jo.

Renewed personal "communication" between Long Island Lolita Amy Fisher and bad boy Joey Buttafuoco is "at the heart of" the decision by Fisher's husband to file for separation, a person close to Fisher told The Post.

The shocked source, who asked not to be named, said the development - and Fisher's contact with Buttafuoco 15 years after he was charged with statutory rape - took him by surprise.

"There's no explanation for human behavior. I'm trying to get my head around it. I think some communication between Amy and Joey is at the heart of this," he said. "It's real communication."

He declined to define what he meant by real or whether the contact was by phone or of a more direct nature. Buttafuoco, 52, got out a week ago after serving three months in the Los Angeles County Jail.

The source said that Fisher, 32, and her husband, Lou Bellera, 55, are still living in the same Long Island home with their two young kids - but described a tense, silent "War of the Roses" type of situation.

"The two of them are still in the same space," said the source, "but they've reached a plateau where they are not speaking, not talking, to one another."

He claimed Bellera was set to file for legal separation yesterday. But in the afternoon, Dan Panico of the Suffolk County Clerk's office said no such legal papers had yet been filed.

The source said that Fisher and her husband would not comment on the developments but that they might do so in the future - possibly in another upcoming TV project that Amy and Joey are working on.

Another source said Fisher and Bellera had marital difficulties in the past and had separated on more than one occasion.

Buttafuoco's second wife, Evanka, told The Post she was going ahead with plans to file for divorce against Buttafuoco.

Mrs. Buttafuoco declined to say why she suddenly wants to split from the Manic Mechanic.

As she waited on line inside a Los Angeles courthouse to file yesterday, she said she was stunned to hear that Amy Fisher and her husband were also splitting up.

"That blew me away," she said. "I had no idea. We don't keep in touch with them."

When asked if she might reconcile with Buttafuoco, she re plied: "This is the wrong day to ask me that question. I'm filing for divorce!

"I love him with all my heart," she said. "There just comes a point when you want a change. I'm just numb."

When reached by phone at home yesterday, Bellera said, "I can't comment at this time. We can't really say anything."

Buttafuoco has turned soft on Fisher, whom he told to "burn in hell" last May in an explosive TV interview that reunited them with his ex-wife, Mary Jo Buttafuoco.

In that same interview, Fisher and Mary Jo shared an awkward hug after Joey angrily stormed off the set.

While serving his sentence, Buttafuoco gave an interview to "Entertainment Tonight" and "The Insider." Asked whether he'd get back with Amy, he said, "You never know. I think everything is open in my life at this point."

Fisher served a seven-year sentence for shooting Mary Jo in the head in front of the Buttafuoco's Massapequa home in 1992, when Amy was 17.