Need Help From Web Designers

I'm doing volunteer work for a local theater, and I'm trying to setup their first online fundraiser.

What we want to do is send out an email, get people to donate, and then direct them to a screen where they can "Tell A Friend."

I want to set up something like this. The budget is $0. Anyone have any good advice or (gasp) free time?

Here's what I'm looking to make (stolen from Convio).

tella.jpg

The basic concept you want to use is a CGI POST script. You could probably find one or find a tutorial on it. Also, what web hosting company are you using? My wife uses iPower and they (and a lot of other companies) have form builders where you basically specify the fields you want, and then the action you want to do when the form is submitted. Then you just copy and paste a special directive they give you onto your page that you are building so it appears when they go to the "Tell a friend", form. You might need to then write a small script to parse out the fields and then write an email to the appropriate email address.

Hope this helps.

Depending on the amount of time you have I might be able to help. If you have a very short turnaround, probably not. I wouldn't want to put your project in jeopardy of not finishing on time because of my busy schedule. Let me know how much time you have.

Also, try to figure out:

Is the web server unix based?

Does your web server have python installed? That would be nice for me since I can whip stuff up in that pretty quickly.

What web service (iPower, or some company, etc.) do you plan on using?

Do you have shell access on this system?, i.e. command line login capabilities.

Also, keep in mind, I'm not an artist, so I can do the back end stuff but I'm probably not going to be able to make this page look as good as it does in your example. Is there someone working on the rest of the site? Including the donation part? That sounds like a decent amount of work. Your best bet is to use one of these nice iPower type sites and then use all of the tools they give you for eCommerce (paypal, etc.), form mail, etc.

I'm doing all of the design for the site. This thing is just a little beyond my area of expertise. We're looking to go live with this around next Wed. I have a message in to them about forms, but I don't think that they support the auto-creation method. I'll keep looking into it. Thanks again!

I'm doing all of the design for the site. This thing is just a little beyond my area of expertise. We're looking to go live with this around next Wed. I have a message in to them about forms, but I don't think that they support the auto-creation method. I'll keep looking into it. Thanks again!

Let me know if you have any questions or have found a CGI script that you would like to use. If your server has python installed I can send you a script.