Question to those who have knowlege of copyright laws etc

Is is legal to post a cover of a Wilco song (or any cover) on the internet? Something I've always wondered, but haven't found a definite answer.. It seems there's sort of a grey area in this matter.

I'm asking because I posted my cover of "My Darling", but took it down after about 10 minutes. I'd hate to get sued by my favorite band.. haha :nono

If covers are illegal to post on the internet, then why is Youtube saturated with them? Regardless of whether it is legal or not, it is a such pervasive trend on the internet that to not post covers because it may not be prudent is kind of moot. Just do it, I say. I'd like to hear it.

Case in point: Truth Mask Replica. Just Google it to see what I mean.

Seeing as how we've coordinated and distributed several Via Chicago covers comps, I can't imagine the band getting up in arms about it.

Very true.. Thanks for your replies. I guess I was just being paranoid. I'll post in in a new topic shortly. :thumbup

Under copyright law, you can cover a previously recording song without getting permission, its called a compulsory license. You can perform the cover live and use it for promotional purposes without any legal problems. Once you record the cover and sell it, you must pay songwriter royalties.

So, let's hear your cover!!

Under copyright law, you can cover a previously recording song without getting permission, its called a compulsory license. You can perform the cover live and use it for promotional purposes without any legal problems. Once you record the cover and sell it, you must pay songwriter royalties.

So, let's hear your cover!!

Thanks tweedy girl. Incase you haven't seen my other post, here you go:

http://www.blackbeardstruck.com/my_darling.mp3