good starter songs

hey yall, i can play some super easy jeff solo songs like "pick up the change," and "misunderstood," but im trying to improve with my guitar (aucoustic), and would like some tips for songs that are a bit more difficult but nothing out of the beginer range! it would be super cool if yall could think of some songs with not to hard intros or riffs that you could point me too....like i mentioned in another post, my skill level would best be described by saying that im absolutly jamming if i make it through the intro to "sweet home alabama." not very good i know, but im trying to get better!!!!!

thanks agian,

john

When it comes to playing Jeff's riffs, he usually picks notes in and around the chord shape you are aleady gripping. Try using you pre-existing grip and start thowing in hammer-ons from the open string. Like the intro to Muzzle I posted and the intro to Was I in Your Dreams. Both tend to use this technique.

Best advice is the the cliche: practice.

When it comes to playing Jeff's riffs, he usually picks notes in and around the chord shape you are aleady gripping. Try using you pre-existing grip and start thowing in hammer-ons from the open string. Like the intro to Muzzle I posted and the intro to Was I in Your Dreams. Both tend to use this technique.

Best advice is the the cliche: practice.

you can get some pretty nice sounding stuff with basic chords, some hammerons and a capo if you got one, but like allen iverson says...practice, practice

you can get some pretty nice sounding stuff with basic chords, some hammerons and a capo if you got one, but like allen iverson says...practice, practice

"you talkin about practice...not a game, practice" sorry i had to keep the iverson quote going! yeah ive been practicing a lot, im a prefectionist at most things, and i get so pissed when i accidently mute like one string in an entire song....ive got to relax a little and just go with it, and im sure i could play more than i think! i know what yall are talking about with the regular chords with hammer-ons, one song that comes to mind is "radio king".....isnt the main portion of that just a G with the index finger hammering the A string? and yeah ive got a capo, i plan to work on "jesus, etc." today. i havent looked at the tabs for the new record, but there is so much piano its hard for me to pick out a good guitar song. id love to hear jeff play "side with the seeds" solo so i could get a clue as to how to get started with that. after hearing jeff's story behind the lyrics to "sky blue sky" i love that song, but agian, not really something i can wrap my mind around breaking down alone. if anyone has some time, name some songs that would be good for me to use in practice, i tend to get stuck playing the same song, my fingers get trained to go only one way! i need about 5 to switch between each day.

Guest Speed Racer

Shot in the Arm and the acoustic version of Spiders are pretty simple and fun. Spiders will also help you to train your fingers to do different things, but isn't so hard that you can't do it. :yes

Guest David Puddy

it really is just about practice, practice, practice. just practice a few songs, maybe one or two that you think "i could never play that" when you look at the tab. and eventually, you'll just be able to pick up new songs on the first few tries.

for me, it was "no more poetry"... i just played the shit out of this song, even though i thought, "wow, i'll never be able to play that riff" and it took me weeks. and now, with all the practice and stuff, i've picked up "here comes the sun" in just a few tries.

also, try some songs with some different chord shapes.