ABANDONED MINE IMPERILS HOME OF EX-LEGISLATOR

By John Cheves

jcheves@herald-leader.com

An abandoned coal mine is causing an Eastern Kentucky hillside to slide slowly onto the home of former state Rep. Howard Cornett, R-Whitesburg, who championed coal companies in the legislature.

The "continual flow" of water from the abandoned mine has saturated Cornett's yard and the foundation of his home, according to Steve Hohmann, director of the Division of Abandoned Mine Lands. Parts of the hill are sliding down, putting the house at risk.

Long a defender of coal companies' interests, Cornett lost his seat after he unsuccessfully pushed a bill to allow more overweight trucks on state roads, angering his constituents who considered such trucks dangerous. In fiery speeches, Cornett said his opponents wanted to destroy the coal industry.

"Howard Cornett wasn't sympathetic when we asked for protection from overweight coal trucks or when we asked for protection from hazardous coal-mining practices. Now the shoe is on the other foot," said Patty Amburgey of Letcher County, a former Cornett constituent who is active with the grassroots group Kentuckians for the Commonwealth.

The woman who replaced Cornett, Rep. Leslie Combs, D-Pikeville, said Monday that abandoned coal mine sites, including slurry ponds, pose environmental and safety hazards throughout Eastern Kentucky.

"It's a real issue out here," she said.

The mine threatening Cornett's home was owned by Cook and Sons Mining Inc. of Whitesburg, which