its a small world...

so, I was talking to my friend tonight and I mentioned needing to get out of town, maybe going up to New York soon and stay at the Chelsea Hotel. my friend had lived in New York since the 60's, but moved back here to NC in the 80's, and he lit up a bit when he heard me mention the Chelsea. he told me that Andy Warhol, and a bunch of "his people," had a place across the street. my friend was 16 at the time and said he'd get his drugs, amphetamines, from the Chelsea district. he also mentioned this girl that was always hanging around Andy named "Edith." I thought for a moment and said, "You mean Edie Sedgwick?" and he replied, "Yeah!" I totally freaked out after he told me this. I explained the Bob Dylan/ Edie Sedgwick connection, which he was oblivious to, and also mentioned how popular Edie has become since then. he was really shocked by this. we didn't talk about her for long, and I didn't want to seem like a nut and ramble about her all night, but he did mention that a guy, possibly her brother, was always coming around back then trying to convince Edie to move back home. of course, being that we were in my car, I put on "I Want You" and told him that Dylan had, supposedly, written it for Sedgwick. he laughed.

I've been good friends with this guy for a year now and he has never told me this before. he'd tell me stories about hanging with the guy from Superfly and watching the Doobie Brothers rehearse on weekends. I was just pretty pumped after hearing this and needed to share it with someone, haha.

PS: my friend does not do drugs anymore. I put that tidbit in because I mentioned to him that Dylan was dabbling in amphetamines at the time and he explained that that was the only reason he was around the Chelsea back then.