Scotland Yard Gospel Choir

I finally got around to listening to the new Scotland Yard Gospel Choir last night. I know it is sort of tacky to promote bands here, but not only is there new album really good (and better than their previous by a mile), they could sure use a hand. I guess it is common knowledge that as they were leaving on tour they had a catastrophic accident and were nearly killed. Info on this can be found any number of places including Bloodshot Records which is their label. They are on the mend as I understand it and a benefit is planned here in Chicago for the next couple weeks. But the easiest way to help I suppose is buy the album, which is you are 20 or 30 something and like The Cure/The Smiths/The Magnetic Fields, etc. coupled with a bit of the Dandy Warhols etc. you might also like this. The songs are somewhat depressing, but not in a bad way, but also funny, in a good way and also self depreciating in an okay way. The musicianship, especially when the violin is part of the mix, is excellent.

Hopefully these folks will get back on their feet, find some new equipment and van and make it around the country, but in the meantime, this is a really fine album. (Lots of insider references to Chicago, which I found fun.)

LouieB

Yeah, I heard about this. Very very sad news.

There's a great interview/article about how the band is doing by Jim DeRogatis in the Chicago Sun Times.

Here's the link:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/derogatis/2009/11/scotland_yard_gospel_choir_on.html#more

I think I will buy the album soon (hopefully) since I have heard good things about this band for the last couple of years. It's really scary to think that this could happen to anyone at any single time while driving.

There appear to be a series of ongoing benefits for these folks. Upcoming is a show with the 1900s at the Hideout on November 12 and a Bloodshot show at the Double Door with the Blacks etc. on December 18th I think.

LouieB