Sophie Tucker...the original red hot mama.

With Wilco out of the country, and the music biz in something of a funk, I will ventue into territory few are interested in here, old, really old, music.

For several years, Archeophone Recordsout of Champaign, IL has been re-issuing accoustic recordings from the dawn of recording history. While it won't garner quite the hip cache that the Numero Group has, they are doing a great service to those who want to hear the really old stuff.

Recently they out did themselves by putting out a CD of the first 24 records Sophie Tucker put out. Along with the CD is a really cool book (it is all incorporated in a CD sized hardcover package rather than a jewel case), with interesting text and pictures. For those who have a vague notion of who Sophie Tucker is, she was a burlesque and vaudville singer from the early part of the last century. Those of us who remember her, remember her as an old woman belting out somewhat off color songs. Reissuing this stuff, along with some historical perspective reveal much more. Not only was she a trail blazer, but her songs were (are) pretty entertaining.

They fall into two groups; those made for the Edison company (the sound is amazing...) and those made for Vocalian and Okeh (not as amazing, but nicely cleaned up.) While most of this material follows the conventions of the time pretty closely (ragtime, parlor songs, coon songs, novelty material), they are surprisingly good. Check it out here... Some of the material is pretty edgy for the time with lots of double or not so double ententres.

Also of interest is how she manipulated her backstory, making up nicknames and embellishing certain things that happen to her. She was sort of the Bob Dylan of her time, a Jewish kid of rather bland background, making up stories to make her seem more interesting.

Anyway, I have been meaning to write about this for some time. This CD got a nice write-up in the NY Times a few months back and there are some other links to other articles. Archeophone has been fortunate to have some of their releases nominated for Grammys and won one. I suspect this release will also garner one as well.

5010.jpg

LouieB

I know this album has limit appeal to most people, but I just have to say that I listened to it a couple times yesterday and now I can't get some of the tunes out of my head. If nothing else check out some of the clips online. It may get you humming along to such tunes as Reuben Rag, Phoebe Jane, Everyone Shimmies Now and the not so subtle That Lovin Soul Kiss.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...