I guess it is up to me to mention the passing of Hank Jones, one of the last of a generation of jazz musicians nearly gone. Lots of info on him all over the web, etc. He was actually the elder brother of the Thad and the more famous Elvin (of the historic Coltrane quartet.) He played with all the greats.

LouieB

Yeah, I meant to bring this up in the Jazz thread - I don't have many sessions with Jones on them. I was however listening to the Kenny Dorham led session (Jazz Contrasts) off the Sonny Rollin's The Freelance Years that Sunday morning before I heard that he died - he was playing in those sessions.

It is amazing the amount of talent that came from that family.

A little tidbit that I read after his passing:

London, (ANI): US jazz pianist Hank Jones, who was Marilyn Monroe's accompanist when she sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to President John F. Kennedy, passed away on May 16 at the age of 91. He is survived by his wife Theodosia, nieces and nephews.

It is amazing that with the long history he had of playing with all the jazz greats and coming from the family he did, that the Marilyn incident got such play. Kind of stupid really.

Actually looking through his discography this AM I don't believe I have him on very many records either, but it is worth noting he worked with Joe Lovano within the last 10 years.

LouieB

Well I not surprised the Monroe incident got so "much play" - though I understand where you are coming from.

Do you know if all three of them (Thad, Elvin, and Hank) play ever play on one session. I suppose I can look it up...

Well I not surprised the Monroe incident got so "much play" - though I understand where you are coming from.

Do you know if all three of them (Thad, Elvin, and Hank) play ever play on one session. I suppose I can look it up...

I agree with the first point. That is the one thing most people do know about that he was involved with.

Apparently they did play together (from Wikipedia only..not from my records..) but not often and not as often as he would have liked. Amazingly he lived longer than the other brothers although he was the oldest (and born in Mississippi.) And of the three brothers he was certainly the least famous. I may have seen him at jazzfest, but really can't recall. I did see the other two.

LouieB

I was only fortune enough to see Elvin play at the 2003 Chicago Jazz Fest, I don't think he was a hundred percent and the performance was bit underwhelming, but I extremely grateful for being there.

I was only fortune enough to see Elvin play at the 2003 Chicago Jazz Fest, I don't think he was a hundred percent and the performance was bit underwhelming, but I extremely grateful for being there.

Yea, at a certain point it was simply good to see him, since he certainly was a legend. I saw him at the Jazz Showcase when it was at the Blackstone, I think? He was older by then, but still a force.

I also can't completely remember, but I am pretty sure i saw the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Big Band at Jazz Fest one year. Crap is all starting to run together in my memory.

LouieB