SOL - Singles Only Label

A boutique label (partially owned/run by Bob Mould) that put out some pretty cool little things.

In fact, it was the 45 of "Speeding Motorcycle" (later reissued in a longer version on Genius + Yo La Tengo) that was out on this label that was my first exposure to Daniel Johnston.

Here is a link to what I believe to be a semi-complete discography:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Singles%20Only%20Label

7" vinyl-only label co-founded by Steve Fallon (founder of the Coyote Records label and owner of Hoboken, NJ club Maxwell's) and Bob Mould (Husker Du, Sugar, solo artist, DJ). Day-to-operations were handled by label manager and WFMU radio personality Nick Hill.

Initial releases had picture sleeves, but the label soon moved to a generic four-color, die-cut label sleeve/house bag for most titles. A small number of co-releases with Jeremy Tepper's Diesel Only label were undertaken, and these too had their own die-cut generic sleeve bearing both label logos, and often contained perforated paper jukebox strips.

Really want those R. Stevie Moore, Cocktails, and Peter Laughner 7"s.

And, a CD/digital box set of all of the label's releases would be something really cool. I would absolutely pick that up.

I remember reading interviews w/ Bob Mould back in the day when he was starting up the label. I think it was set up as a subscription-based project where you would pay an annual amount & then receive a new single every month. Looking at the discography it seems like the project ran for a few years, then folded. Maybe not enough subscribers or problems w/ manufacturing/distribution? I'd sure love to hear some of those releases, too. Wonder if any of them ever turn up on ebay..

I remember reading interviews w/ Bob Mould back in the day when he was starting up the label. I think it was set up as a subscription-based project where you would pay an annual amount & then receive a new single every month. Looking at the discography it seems like the project ran for a few years, then folded. Maybe not enough subscribers or problems w/ manufacturing/distribution? I'd sure love to hear some of those releases, too. Wonder if any of them ever turn up on ebay..

One of the A-sides (Daniel Johnston with Yo La Tengo doing "Speeding Motorcycle" on the radio) was released by YLT on this:

51SeRCdmCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But yeah, some of those others are BEGGING for re-release.

As I said, some sort of SOL box would be magnificent!