Bravo show Platinum Hit

just heard about it and i'm catching up on it. it's a reality show about songwriting. of course it has all the trappings of a reality show, but it's so cool to watch these folks write songs. as a songwriter i'm really digging it. one of the challenges was to write a dance track and i did it too. never thought i'd do that!

I get where you are coming from, but I saw one episode and I was fuming!

It is the complete polar opposite from the way I work, it was frustrating to watch.

It seemed so.....forced

it is forced to some extent, but it's interesting to see people compete and make shit up in the moment. i've taken some of their challenges for the hell of it. wrote a pretty nice song about LA...who hasn't:)

btw-how do you write? what is you process? maybe we should start a new thread about this. what i love about the show is people's total focus on music and songwriting. i love that shit and it's good to know i'm not the only dork out there:)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the main way is I get basically hit over the head with an idea at a completely random time, and then the song usually follows quickly thereafter. I record it either into my phone or a little portable recorder I carry around, and that is it. Maybe I revise a little, but I usually do 90% of it when I get the idea.

I have an increasingly large cache of ideas that I didnt finish, so for instance a great chorus or some lines that could make a good verse. Occasionally I will get a new hit over the head moment and in that moment realize I can steal a few from the cache + what I just had delivered and that will equal a cool tune.

I have never been able to write on command, and in fact even thinking about it is a bad thing and could make me go months without writing.