Anniversary Albums

Can't believe it is 20 years since Nevermind and Ten. The first Pearl Jam song I ever heard was alive, but grew to love this whole album. Nirvana's album was great also. It makes me wonder, however, about the current state of music. When these albums came out it was the twentieth, or close to, anniversary of Sticky Fingers. I remembe a mention on a classic rock station, but nowhere near the hype we see for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. There is a lot of good music out now, but few people are exposed to it. FM radio isnt he same, and limits what we hear and how we hear it. Same complaint I m sure that was heard in 71, and 91, but it is next to impossible to be heard now. If there was no Uncle Tupelo, where would wilco be? I cant believe some grunge AOR guy would even give AM a second listen. As it happens, though, I cant wait for the ten year of the release of YHF. Everytime music has been on its deathbed, a band or two came along to save it. The Doors, REM, U2, The Minutemen, Nirvana, to a degree Pearl Jam, Wilco.... Just wonderiing out loud if I am missing the future and too old to find the new band, or has music fallen into a funk again. Again, just thinking out loud, but The Whole Love would have been a great album in a sea of great albums 20 years ago. Today, it is all there is, Maybe I am just getting old.

Good music is always being made somewhere. If you think about it, it's really easy to bum yourself out over how much good music there is that we'll never here. There are sooo many struggling musicians out there that many of us will never grow familiar with. But I do think the internet has changed a lot of opinions of what a good album is. Everything is flaunted in the public eye without shame. Back in the day you'd have to wait like 4 years for your favorite musician to release a new album. Now we wait 2 years max and ride that wait out with live releases, outtakes from various albums, YouTube videos, etc.

Speaking of Nirvana, I am listening to the 20th Anniversary Nevermind set right now and it's bringing back a plethora of forgotten memories. Good stuff. Live at the Paramount 10/31/91 was on VH1 Classics last night and piqued my interest in them again.