Night Out with Richard Hell series in NYC featuring Lydia Loveless, others

Those of you who are in and around New York City and may be interested in what Richard Hell is up to these days, check out the information below, coming directly from Richard via his mom and sister.

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 9:57 AM
To: admin@richardhell.com
Subject: I host performance series

I’m sending this to a few friends and contacts because I’m not sure the signals would reach you otherwise (since the official ones originate from the Upper West Side), and I want people to come! 

I’m curating and hosting a series of events at Symphony Space for which I’ve dragooned one youngish artist per evening to sit still to be interviewed on stage by me before he or she performs. The interviews will be 25-30 minutes and the performances 45-50 minutes (with the exception of Kelly Reichardt’s 1:40 movie--projected via celluloid, not digitally, incidentally). These will happen in a beautifully equipped venue, seating only 168. There will be bonuses—surprise supplements to the interviews and some ace giveaways. The main thing though is that all these people are interesting and talented and this is a unique chance to see them so intimately exposed…

Please attend and spread the word if you can. Any tweets or other social media announcements of the series will be highly appreciated, and please forward this email to anyone you think might be interested. The most practical single link to let anyone know about is the series list at Symphony Space, where clicking on the individual event listings will take you to ticket-sales pages: http://www.symphonyspace.org/events/series/180/night-out-with-richard-hell  

Thank you!

My New Performance Series

Night Out with Richard Hell

in the Thalia Theater at Symphony Space

2537 Broadway, NYC (southwest corner of 95th St. and Broadway)

First off will be LYDIA LOVELESS, Fri 17 Oct, 2014 

Lydia is the only singer/songwriter the power of whose music and voice consistently makes me cry.

In November ARIANA REINES, Fri 14 Nov, 2014

Ariana is an ever fresh through-and-through true poet who is also funny and challenging and rivets from the stage.

I wrote about her for Bookforum: http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/018_05/8891

Next up, filmmaker KELLY REICHARDT, Thu 4 Dec, 2014

Kelly, the acclaimed director of five features so far will be presenting what I consider her filmic apotheosis to date, the astonishing 2011 Meek's Cutoff, a western unlike any prior, as much like Robert Bresson as John Ford.

In the winter, DONALD CUMMING, Thu 12 Feb, 2015 

Along with Karen O. and Julian Casablancas, D. is one of the most innately talented NYC rock and roll/pop musician/singer/songwriters to come up in the oughts--he founded and led the Virgins 2007-2013, and will have a new solo album out just about the time of the "Night Out" event.

See him with the Virgins as filmed by Ryan McGinley: https://vk.com/video-12024126_165761133