PopTodd's top 10 of 2014

Just in case any of you actually care.

The top 3-5 can probably shuffle into any order on any given day:

Fumaça Preta - Fumaça Preta
Portugese-speaking Columbians living in Amsterdam making a ruckus with a groove that sounds like Os Mutantes or Tom Zé jamming with Captain Beefheart.

The Thons - Thirty Foot Snake
Chicago-based retro punk band, with a great guitar player for fans of The Strokes, The Fall, Television, and Parquet Courts. This record is better than PC's newest one. And, it's free at their Bandcamp page.

Phil Ajjarapu - Sing Along Until You Feel Better
You should all know this one by now. Bravo, Phil!!!

The Limiñanas - Trouble In Mind
If Serge Gainsbourg were a woman who sang in a Nuggets-like 60s garage rock band.

Freeman - Freeman
Dean (Gene?) Ween's first solo album sounds like twisted, tweaked early solo McCartney.

D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Maybe it's too early to actually put this one on my list, but the early returns indicate that there is no way that this one shouldn't be here. 

James - La Petite Mort
Their best album since Laid, IMO.

The War on Drugs - Lost In the Dream
Atmospheric and wonderful update of the sound of The Waterboys and World Party.

Tom Zé - Vira Lata Na Via Lactea
I can't help it. I find this man's music endlessly fascinating, every single time.

Wand - Ganglion Reef
The ballsy, rocking, riff-happy band that was always missing from the Elephant 6 collective.

If and when I feel like giving it some more time, I could flesh out a Top 20 or 25. Plus there are a couple more albums that I should probably hear that might change this around. But this will do for now, methinks.