portland setlist 4/19/06

A friend of mine who loves Wilco told me that Jeff Tweedy doesn't like it when people take his picture...apparetnly he yelled at an audience member a while back stating that he was not an animal in a zoo. So I don't care that security told people to put their cameras down, but the dancing thing was LAME!!!! NO PUN INTENDED!

This is a little blown out of proportion, and there was a ton of discussion on this board after it happened - 6/30/03, I think. I was at the show, but too far back to see what had happened to make Jeff so angry. According to some people who were closer and could see what was going on, there were two guys front and center who kept taking pictures. Supposedly they were angling the shots so that both one of the guys and Jeff Tweedy would be in the pictures. Maybe they were pointing too, I don't know. Apparently, this went on throughout the show, and they were treating Tweedy as an attraction. Like getting your picture taken in front of the Empire State building or Ol' Faithful. During Misunderstood, Jeff walked to the front of the stage, pretended to kick one of the guys in the head and said, "I'll kick you in the head. I'm not a fucking monkey in the zoo!" or something along those lines. He then finished the song, the angriest version of Misunderstood I've heard, set his guitar down while it was still ringing, and walked off the stage.

The other members of Wilco kind of looked around for a few seconds, and left the stage too. Supposedly Remember the Mountainbed and California Stars were on the setlist, but the band didn't come back out.

That's all from memory, so people can correct me where I'm wrong, but it's not like Tweedy's some prima donna who can't stand his picture to be taken.

• 3 weeks later...