Is this sad and pathetic that I starting a thread on a soundcheck?

I'm the only one on the Bluesfest site not doing a job. Cripes, I have Wilco all to myself. Around 10 am, Mikael walks in my general direction. I say "Welcome to our nation's capital". He says "coffee". It's early.

About 10:15, I see Jeff. Unprotected. So I apologize for bugging him so early in the morning and ask if he wouldn't mind signing my Wilcobook. And he does, very graciously. Asks my name and everything. So I've got a full set now in the book.

About 11 am, the entire band assembles on stage, looking like a band should in the morning.

- begriming at the second verse, they do 2 run-throughs of Impossible Germany, with some additional work on the "bridge" between the lyrics part and the guitar part

- Company In My Back

- I Shall Be Released

- IATTBYH

- the rest of the band leaves and Jeff worries about a crackling sound with his acoustic guitar. Techs say a whole of technical things like "go to 125 and make it 400 all across". It never seems to be resolved to his total satisfaction but I guess it gets close enough

If anybody plans to go down tonight, be prepared for a real cluster**** if you want to get near the stage. About 1/3 is fenced of for "gold circle" people and another 1/3 is fenced off for "vip" tickets, so if you're flying coach, there is sort of a funnel thing happening and about 15,000 people will be aimed at about 30 feet of fence.

[if anybody plans to go down tonight, be prepared for a real cluster**** if you want to get near the stage. About 1/3 is fenced of for "gold circle" people and another 1/3 is fenced off for "vip" tickets, so if you're flying coach, there is sort of a funnel thing happening and about 15,000 people will be aimed at about 30 feet of fence.

I've got VIP tickets tonight. Am just trying to picture from your post what you mean by a funnel effect. What fence are you referring to. Is there one behind the VIP section? To the side of it?Thanks

I've got VIP tickets tonight. Am just trying to picture from your post what you mean by a funnel effect. What fence are you referring to. Is there one behind the VIP section? To the side of it?Thanks

The way they were setting it up at noon was that the third of the front, or maybe even half the front, on Pat's side is fenced off. So I'm pretty sure your VIP pass will get you in there. If you've been to the site already, it's the "lawn chair section" only they've made it bigger. So unless something has changed since then, get to your VIP seats early and they will be prime prime prime. Right against the rail. And there are fold-up chairs in there. I was thinking this morning they'll probably try and make people in the VIPs stay seated.

The funnel is beside the VIPs. In other words, VIPs have more "rail" space than ordinary pass holders. But anyway, if it plays out the way I think it will, the funnel won't affect you.... You will be protected from us huddling masses.

Have fun!

This is what we need more of, mid-day soundcheck reports. I see one major thing in your report, "I Shall Be Released." Why is it major? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict a Garth Hudson cameo tonight. It's happened before and it could very well happen here. I'm crossing my fingers for all of you. Enjoy the show, Greg

Edited by GregRVA