Leonard Cohen Film

I ventured to my local indie theatre to check this out last night. I was a bit disappointed that it was primarily a tribute concert of Mr. Cohen with interviews with him thrown in between. I tell ya what though, I didn't realize his writing was so profound. It made me realize how little I know, much less how to put it on paper.

The highlights for me were the songs by Rufus Wainwright, Beth Orton, and Antony. Although Antony has quite an image, he might have the best voice of them all. The finale was Leonard Cohen singing "Tower of Song" with his backup band being U2.

Curious what others took back from it?

I've not seen it unfortunately - it was been played as part of the Film Festival in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago but it clashed with something else. I'm hoping they're going to show it again...

Shame it's primarily a concert though, was hoping for more of a full on documentary...

If you're looking for a great Leonard Cohen film, I highly recommend the NFB doc from 1965, Ladies and Gentlement... Mr. Leonard Cohen.

I really enjoyed I'm Your Man, but I think it's very difficult for other performers to capture the dark, wry humour and intensity of his songs (no one can do it like the man himself)... although Rufus Wainwright and the Handsome Family came pretty close. Every moment that Leonard was on screen was mesmerising and left me wanting more. I also loved RW's story about meeting LC for the first time. :lol

BTW, if you enjoy his poetry, check out Book of Longing.