Former Laurie's Staff member...

The Chicago Reader this week has a story about some soul material from Birmingham Alabama that as been recently released by former Laurie's clerk John Ciba. I half read this article yesterday not realizing I knew the person involved, but only because I was interested in material on the CD. I plan to pick it up today. There was a record release party at the Hideout that I missed, but I hear it was really great, with both musicians represented on the CD and Chicago musicians collaborating. Lauries has copies for sale of this CD.

This kind of musical archiving is really necessary and a great testiment to guys like John who have dug deep to find lost and forgotten material, not unlike what the Numero Group is doing. I listened to their compliation of the Bandit Records material this week and it is some weird and crazy stuff as well.

LouieB

Speaking of the Numero Group, Yellow Pills: Prefill is a great power pop compilation.
That does look good...thanks. (more ways to spend my hard earned money.) Neko Case in the NY Times gave a shout out to another one of the Eccentric Soul CDs from these guys (Big Mack maybe!!?!?!). And Samorama highly recommends the Belize comp as well.

LouieB

Any of the Numero Comps!

And this one of course. My gods, the show was incredible. My friend Adam was in charge of the backing band for Ralph "Soul" Jackson and sang one of his songs before he came out. Roscoe's set was a little more square but still really cool. The place was sold out and the love and joy in the room was palpable.

I was out of town or I would have made this one.

Bought a copy from Sam herself yesterday after having talked to Adam about it the day before. Looks great and I can't wait to listen to it this morning.

LouieB