The Rentals 08/15/06

Nothing Like some midweek moog synth to keep things going :cheers

Phenomenal show last night. I didn't know the house of blues is so small and intimate. They played almost every song off their first album including:

The Love I'm Searching For

Waiting

Move On

Please Let That Be You

Sweetness & Tenderness

I never got the chance to listen to their 2nd album, but every song they played that night sounded pretty good. Matt Sharp was all over the place the whole night. I didn't realize they had so many pieces to their band. They had 2 keyboardists (one occassionally played trombone), drummer, violin player, 2 guitarists (at times because one was Matt Sharp), and a bassist. They had an incredible sound. Midway through the set they played a cover by Gary Numan - "We Have A Technical." Which I believe you can hear the rentals play on their myspace. The Rentals - We Have A Technical (Listen Here)

For their encore they started with a cover of Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side." After the last verse where the white girls go "do do do dododo do do" they inserted the female vocal hook from Friends of P. Then they rocked Friends of P for quite some time. They brought out all the opening bands to play Friends of P with them. Them Matt Sharp jumped into the excited crowd and started dancing with everyone.

One great highlight was that Matt Sharp had some buddy up in the upper level and from the stage Matt asked him, "Did you hear about the party after the show?" Mass Screaming Followed! For those who don't know, Matt Sharp was the bassist for Weezer on their blue album.

The End

Edited by benjamin_kenobi
and Pinkerton. he also helped Cuomo write a lot of the songs on both albums.

oh... that explains why the majority of the songs sucked after Pinkerton...