FLAC/MP3 converter

Guest Jules

Can someone recommend a FLAC/MP3 converter? I know it's been discussed, but I can't get the search working today.

Thanks, Ace

I've been using dBpowerAMP Music Converter:

dBpowerAMP

You may need to add some codec plug-ins (.flac, .shn etc.), which are at:

Codecs

Hope that helps.

Can someone recommend a FLAC/MP3 converter? I know it's been discussed, but I can't get the search working today.

Foobar2000 can be used to convert FLAC to mp3, and can also do various other audio conversions; you'll need to download the various audio codecs, though. It's also a standalone media player. I've recently started using foobar and I've been pretty satisfied with it. This seems to be the app of choice for a lot of hardcore audiophiles out there, from what I've seen (granted, I'm not a hardcore audiophile).

Also, as has been mentioned above, dbPowerAMP is good too. I've heard reports that it may have some issues converting FLAC's, but I don't know how common this is. I used to use dbPowerAMP for mp3 encoding and cd ripping, and it always did the trick.

Alternatively, you could use FLAC Frontend 1.1.2 to decompress your FLAC's back to wavs, then convert those wavs to mp3 using your favorite mp3 encoder. But this takes twice the effort.

Hope this helps!