Long Night's Journey Into Day (with horns)

For as long as I can remember, I've been an insomniac. Even when I'm at my most exhausted state, 2am comes around and I'm still staring at the world around me. It's frustrating, tiring, exhausting. But then the morning comes. What will the morning bring? Somedays end up better than others. That's what I hope for at least, when I cannot get decent sleep. Of course, I know there's others out there like me who struggle to rest, relax, let the day go and find hope for the next day. That's what this mix tape feels like to me, finding those moments of peace of mind and of rest. There's more than just the physical cycle of night and darkness but also the emotional night I feel at times. Yet I always know that the dawn of tranquility will come. Of course, anyone else is welcome to give it a listen as well. Wait for dusk to come and put this cd in. Most of these songs have the idea of the nocturnal in their lyrics, some just fit the mood of darkness, but also of potential hope. I also feel that these songs represent a part of my musical taste and the artists that have been so much a part of my childhood and adulthood.

1."I Wish I Was The Moon" by Neko Case: I recently rediscovered this song when I was listening to her show from Charlottesville this past April. It comes from her album Blacklisted. Not my favorite Neko album but it doesn't mean the album has no redeeming songs. This is one of my favorites altogether. This reminds me of those nights when I can't escape the thoughts of the day, when I wish I could just leave my thoughts and feel free. So it's nice to have some company at times and have someone to talk to or a prayer just so I could feel free again.

2."Not Dark Yet" by Bob Dylan: Tossing, turning, punching the pillow, turning the pillow over and over. Other than that, I have nothing else to say here. Bob says it best.

3."Stand By Me" by John Lennon: I remember the first time I heard this song when I was in seventh grade. At that time, I was a casual fan of the Beatles. This song made me a fan of John Lennon. He took a classic song and gave it so much soul. Plus, I'm just a sucker for horns. I would suggest turning this up loud.

4."Long As I Can See The Light" by Creedence Clearwater Revival: My parents had an odd collection of music when I was growing up. Most of their vinyl collection consisted of the The Eagles, The Statler Bros., Kenny Rogers (Gambler soundtrack), Barbara Mandrell. CCR's Chronicle was one of the first albums that I listened to pretty regularly. This song really appealed to me. Again, horns make the song. I also like the image of someone coming home, seeing the light on and knowing someone is waiting for them.

5."Hold On Hope" by Guided By Voices: Some might say that Rob Pollard sold out with this song, but perhaps having it on the Scrubs Soundtrack might redeem that. In any case, it really spoke to me when I first heard it and it still does. I feel like it fits that mood of going home alone after a long night out with friends. Still, I know I'll see my friends again the next day or the next weekend.

6."I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie: Wow, it's amazing how powerful such a simple song can be sometimes. The idea of death feels more metaphorical to me here. Speaking from personal experience, I can relate to this song very directly.

7."Nightswimming" by R.E.M.: no mixtape about nighttime would be complete without this song. Being from the south, I could definitely relate to how summers in a small town can be. But I've never been nightswimming myself.

8."Night Is The Day Turned Inside Out" by Beulah: my favorite Beulah song above all others. Can you guess why?

9."Picture In A Frame" by Tom Waits: This song always puts a smile on my face. Again, a simple song with nothing more than Tom's voice and a piano (oh, and some horns) but it speaks volumes.

10."Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles: more like George Harrison featuring the Beatles. It took George Harrison a long time to be taken seriously as a songwriter. I feel like this song is eclipsed by "Something" in his collection of Beatles tunes, but it is a well-written song because it makes sense on more than one level.

I hope you enjoy this collection. Feel free to post your own thoughts on these songs. I'd love to hear them.

You Send It

Edited by jimtweedy1977